10 years ago

So as some of you know, I just recieved my order of barefoot plants:

Strawberries
Grapes
Blueberries
Gooseberries
Currant(red and black)
Jostaberry

I received them a few days ago, some almost a week ago.. I intended on planting them as soon as a got them in, however rain rain rain swamped my backyard... So I decided to keep them inside.. I know that I could possibly damage them from extreme heat to cold,etc? To make matters worse, the strawberries, some blueberries, gooseberries, and Jostaberries started to leaf out.. From my understanding, I should wait until the last frost for the ones leafing, and plant the ones dormant? It's pretty wet back there, should i just go ahead and plant them? What should i do, what would you do?Would hate to ruin my plants.. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Joe

Comments (15)

• Biomed
    10 years ago

you can plant the dormant one now and pot up the rest that leafed out, bring them inside if the temp drops below 35 degree due to tender leaves. Just Keep an eye on the extended forcast for long warm up then you can plant the potted ones.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Biomed gave great advice! If you feel it is so wet you are worried about proper root aeration, just pot up the dormant ones too. Keep them outside during the day, if above freezing. Spring should be there soon. I have a bare root dormant currant I want to plant at my cottage, but I'm not going up there for a week or two, I'm putting it in a pot today. I will plant it in a couple weeks to it's permanent home.

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Could i plant the leafed out plants as well? Would it kill them, or just zap the leafs? It's not to wet, it's drying out now.

Appreciate it,
    Joe

• franktank232
    10 years ago

I'd plant everything...i have strawberries with small leaves forming here and its snowing out! I have raspberries leafing out by the house... Just my opinion, but i doubt you lose anything down in Ohio at this point...

• ericwi
    10 years ago

Blueberries and raspberries are resistant to frost damage and can be planted now. However, blueberries, when planted in clay soil, can leaf out rapidly and begin to demand more water than the roots can provide. This can lead to brown leaves, and possibly a dead shrub. If the bare-root blueberry is potted up, and put in a location where it gets limited sunlight, maybe 1/2 day, it will grow more slowly and likely do better. The potted shrub can be transplanted to it's final home in the fall, around September 15.

• Biomed
    10 years ago

Frost will kill them. Keep an eye for a long warm up. Don't be hurry. As an old saying, Motherday is the last day of frost.

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Frank:

I like your way of thinking! I got a serious itch to plant them!

But as you guys are saying, why be in a hurry and damage, if not kill them..

How does this sound:

Plant everything dormant now, wait until last frost to plant everything leafed out?

• ericwi
    10 years ago

I checked out our yard a few minutes ago, and found a crocus beginning to bloom, and a columbine that is beginning to leaf out. We have a number of daffodils that are about 6 inches high, no where near blooming yet. And our lawn is greening up nicely. So it is looking like a long, slow, spring. I picked up a three year old potted blueberry, Northland variety, today, & it is sitting outside on the back steps. It will be planted tomorrow. I checked out our everbearing raspberry plants, and I could not find any sign of leafing out yet. Prairie smoke, Geum triflorum, is green, but not yet blooming. I have a package of Liatris(prairie blazing star) roots that will be set out this week. They are supposed to be dug under about 2 inches down. Earlier today, I was able to mix up some Schultz' Plant Food-acidic formula, for the blueberry shrubs, and apply this without any sign of run-off, so it seems that the ground is free of frost, finally.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

Raw-

I have a peach tree flowering right now and the high temp today was 38F. I leave it in the garage overnight...seems to be doing just fine so far. If plants are allowed to acclimate, as long as the temps don't get much below 28F or so...they should do just fine..having said that, something like a banana or some other tropical does not apply here, along with veggies like tomatoes or cucumbers...or melons! But something like a raspberry is very hardy and very quick to grow in the spring...onions are also super hardy. But yeah...let them hang outside for another week if you want to not risk it...

Eric-
    You don't even want to look at the weather models... Sun?Mon look so so (at least 50F), but after that....down down down..maybe a warm up around the 25th of april if we are lucky.

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eric:

We have tons of daffodills, and hyacinths blooming all over the neighborhood! My honey berry already leafed out a month ago, however thats in the garage...

Frank:

Just another week? I was going to wait till mothersday to plant all the ones with foliage.. Am i a little crazy or? Rather be safe than sorry..

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Joe,
    Honey Berries grow in eastern Siberia,if that says anything about their hardiness. Brady

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My honeyberry are acclimated to the cold whether, they been in the garage all winter.. What I'm worried about is the plants I just received a week or two ago.. They were dormant, now they are leafing, and acclimated to the warm house.. I wish I never made that mistake, but I had to...

If I just plant everything, even the ones leafed out, worst comes to worst, what will happen?

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What would happen if I plant the leafed out plants right now? Would they completely die, or will the leafs just get zapped?

Anyone?

I would like to plant them, if they are not going to die..

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

Joe,
    I'd love to be able to see into the future.I could make a lot of money.
    Really though,the weather has been odd to bizarre the last couple of years,especially east of the Rockies.It's difficult to say.
    Is it possible to keep them in the garage,by a window?Or on warm days,set them outside and bring them in the garage if the the night temperatures get near freezing?
    Maybe do this til the temps get a little warmer and steady. Brady

• Raw_Nature
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Brady, you always are helpful! I just hav so many plants its a pain in the as* to keep carrying in and out the house.. The garage is not attaché to my house and still freezes, If I was to put them in there, I minus will plant them.. I'll probably just pot up the plant breaking buds, and possibly plant the dormant ones, seems like the safest way..

I just though someone out there was stuck in my predicament and could tell me if their plants survived, or what did they do..