Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy almond, pollination placement etc?

Posted by fireweed22 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 11:46

I grabbed a Halls hardy and Texas mission, as supposedly they are the latest blooming and that is a huge requirement here in mountainous zone 6. I have low expectations but interested in trying.

Any idea how far apart they need to be to gain benefits with pollination?
And the only "against the wall" areas here would be facing west, and they can only get to 5' wide max.

I'm imagining they must be treated as peaches, ideally with no rain hitting their leaves? I'd like to place them in the orchard but peaches don't last here, and fruit terribly in the climate.

Thanks for any tips.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy almond, pollination placement etc?

It's good you have low expectations for your almonds if peaches don't do well for you... :)

I'm sure there is some rule of thumb about pollination distance, but just remember that the flowers are pollinated by bees which travel up to two miles to forage. Also, peach trees will pollinate almonds, so it sounds like pollination will be the least of your concerns.

Cultural requirements of almond should be similar to peach although supposedly pickier. Flowering time should be same as apricot.

o

Ok thanks, of course no apricots in the region either! But plenty of pollinators if the sun decides to come out at the right moment.
Looking forward to a try anyway.

o

Perhaps the biggest issue you will have is that bees don't fly at temps below about 58 deg F; so the trees may live and the flowers bloom; but if it's too cold there won't be bees to pollinate the flowers. As for distance 15, 20, 30 feet, no problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here