Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs eating apple leaves

Posted by bigbob777 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 11:46

This is my first year growing fruit. I have several apple trees, along with other fruits (pears, cherries, peaches, and nectarines).

Something is enjoying my apple tree leaves the most. They are nibbling at the other trees, but mainly the apples.

What is a good spray for bugs? Can't find many bugs on them (some spiders and a few ants).

Ideas?

bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs eating apple leaves

I'm just going to take a guess, but I wonder if it isn't some sort of caterpillar? In that case something like Bt would work. Other then that it could be a beetle.

o

Any chance of pictures?

Sometimes a search & destroy mission is all you need.
Other times, the pests may already be gone.

o

more than likely its a caterpillar of some type ive been fighting them already in my trees ..a spray of malathion should cure that for you i usually spray it on my non producing trees once a month just to keep them out of them.

o

Photo added.

http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/bigbob7777/?action=view¤t=IMG_2988.jpg

http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/bigbob7777/?action=view¤t=IMG_2985.jpg

o

Notice the brown edges of the holes? That means whatever made the holes is long gone.

Thus, no need to fret and/or spray.

o
RE: Bugs eating apple leaves -

Neglected to mention that the ragged character of some of the damage suggests mechanical damage, such as from a windy day.

Is that possible?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here