Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
omni_gw

Fall Golden Raspberry Cane

Omni
11 years ago

Hi everyone. About a month ago, I planted a Fall Golden Raspberry cane I got from Home Depot near my house. I've mulched it and all. Since planting it, I noticed that some of the green leaves and vegetation that the raspberry cane had wilted and died away. The ones that remain, some of them are really dry and feel like they can crumble off. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is this cane dead?

I really apologize for the pictures and for the lack of contrast between the cane and the background.

{{gwi:83145}}

{{gwi:83146}}

{{gwi:83147}}

{{gwi:83148}}

Should I have planted it deeper? What can I do for this now?

Comments (13)

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

So you planted it a month or so ago? It was lush and vigorous when you bought it? Blackberry/raspberries cames normally grow one year, fruit the following year, then die.. New shoot come from the roots to replace the dieing two year old cane.. Now if you just planted it, it makes it seem something that you did... Planted it to deep/shallow, no water, pH of soil,etc? If the roots are still healthy, it will sprout new shoots.. What kind of raspberry did you have? Was it healthy when you purchased it? Did it have fruit on it? Was the roots nice, white healthy? Where they brown and rotted?

Joe

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    11 years ago

Hopefully it is just a little transplant shock, and leaves became tender from sitting inside home depot. Maybe too much sun for leaves not used to it. if the case, it will be fine.
    But a month seems a long time. These are excellant plants btw, the berries are most awesome! it is pretty hardy too. Hope it makes it. I have one and I love it! One of my favorite raspberries.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 13:16

• Omni
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your replies!

I actually took a look at my credit card statement. I bought the cane about 3 weeks ago, and I actually planted it just under 2 weeks ago (about 10-12 days ago). When I took it out of the pot, the roots where white and looked healthy and well developed. When I bought the plant, it had green growth on it. When planting, I mixed some of the soil that I dug out with soil from my 1 year old vegetable garden bed.

Its a bit hard to see in the picture above, but the green growth that is on there, there are 3 of them on there right now. There was a 4th and 5th but those seemed to have died off. The ones that are remaining are dry and feel like they will crumble.

At this time, it gets about 8-10 hours of sun. Should I take it out and leave it in a pot for a month or two?

I also cut the top half inch of the cane off and the insides look very nice and green, so I don't think its dead, but heading there.

• don555
    11 years ago

If the cane is still green and moist inside then the plant is alive, but the dry crumbly leaves are not a good sign. I would not dig it up and repot, I would just keep it well-watered for this growing season and hope that it puts up new shoots either later this year or at the start of next year. Great raspberry BTW, and quite hardy even in zone 3.

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago

Leave it alone

Don't overwater it. Raspberries don't like wet feet. Don't baby the plant to death :)

• Raw_Nature
    11 years ago

Leave it be. I bet you any money it's going to thrive in a month or so...

Goodluck,
    Joe

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    11 years ago

Hey again, yeah I agree with everybody here, don't under or over water. I bet being inside probably for a month at home depot caused the plant tissues to be sensitive to the sun. If you want shade it for part of the day, if you are experiencing this rain, it should be shaded enough for the plant to adapt. Most raspberries like sun, but I have heard Anne cultivar will burn. My Fall Gold has an eastern exposure only so only get's morning sun. So I don't know if it can take full sun? I have other yellows coming this year that will be put in full sun. I'll know more by the end of this season. One is coming tomorrow, Kiwi Gold, Yeah!

• abz5b
    11 years ago

Overwatering a raspberry will kill it pretty quick. their roots are especially vulnerable to overwatering. I have around 75 to 80 of them and it took me awhile to figure out that i was overwatering them. My blackberries on the other hand would be in distress if i only watered them as much as my raspberries.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    11 years ago

"My blackberries on the other hand would be in distress if i only watered them as much as my raspberries."

Thanks for letting me know that! I'm growing BB for the 1st time this year. Yeah I have a new raised bed for the Raspberries. Pretty much a 5-1-1- mix. We have had over 2 inches of rain. I received 3 bare root plants today and put them in. The soil was far from saturated, hardly felt wet, The peat really absorbs the moisture! And I wet it before I put it in too. So little chance of me overwatering them! I'm putting the BB right in the ground, so a good thing as it will be moister than the beds. I will amend the soil a lot though, even so, the ground is lower than the beds, thus moister.

• Molex 7a NYC
    11 years ago

your raised bed (non container) has 5 parts pine fines?

could it be you are loosing nitrogen to composting in the mix?

• ahajmano
    11 years ago

Omni,

Don't sweat it. Exact same thing happened to my bare roots raspberries from Home Depot. It's due to an imbalance between vine vigor and lack of root system (they were hacked out of the ground). The cane will continue to wilt until the roots grow in. At that time ( a month from now), new shoots will immerge from the roots, and will grow vigorously.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    11 years ago

could it be you are loosing nitrogen to composting in the mix?

No because I hijacked the thread, sorry. I don't have a problem, it has plenty of time released fertilizer (a raspberry mix of time released), and compost/manure on top, as I add it every year to raspberries. Sorry not my thread! The info on BB's was new to me! So I just thanked the person, and also made an observation about 5-1-1 and rain. Since overwatering was brought up. I don't have a true 5-1-1 no lime, some sulfur, and manure. The mix calls for time released fertilizer btw for that problem. I also add trace minerals, and use fungi when planting new plants. I use an organic time release fertilizer mixed for raspberries, and also have a raspberry chemical powered mix if any plants that need an instant boost. I never used it on raspberries but for my blueberries I have ammonium sulfate too :) 21-0-0. It can be used on established raspberry plants. I use the specialty inorganic powered mix instead for established plants only. I put sulfur in to help avoid Iron deficiency, or chlorosis which can be aggravated in alkaline conditions.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 1:14

• Omni
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Drew: No worries. We all learn something regardless, and I was happy to read that information.

And to everyone else, I would like to thank you all for your help and support. I will leave the cane alone for the time being and check back on it in 2-3 weeks. I will update you all on it again!