Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalilu

Sick Peach Tree and Santa Rosa Plum Tree

jalilu
10 years ago

Hi

Someone could tell me how to treat a peach tree, which fruits exude a transparent soft gum, then drop, and a Santa Rosa Plum Tree which leaves are all twisted and show some tiny bugs. Thanks.

{{gwi:83175}}

{{gwi:83176}}

{{gwi:83177}}

{{gwi:83178}}

Comments (6)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Peach tree problems: likely stink bugs. Management includes dispatch on sight or sprays that contact them.

Plum: Unfurl the leaves and look to see what's inside the curl. Most likely aphids. If so a temporary problem. New growth will be fine. Deformed leaves will remain that way until the drop naturally. Next year, keep an eye on the new growth then hose off before the leaves curl.

• jalilu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean, thanks for answering. It has been the third year now that the plum tree got infested, and last crop fruits were deformed, and some were cracked. Whit regard to the peach tree, I have'nt spotted any stinging bug. I found one last fall on a Hass avocado leave, but never on this peach tree.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

I'd wonder if OFM, oriential fruit moth, might not be an issue with the peach. I assume you're in CA. If so check out UC Davis. They'll have good info on OFM and other pests.

• jalilu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in Tangier, not in California and according to Wikipedia this OFM was also introduced to Morocco. I read a UC Davis web page and also another one describing this moth, and I believe you are right.

I guess it is likely that I am not going to eat our yard' peaches this year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Integrated Pest Mangement Program

• judyring
    9 years ago

In live in Northern California and have a Santa Rosa Flowering Peach tree which was probably planted in 1955. It produces tons of fruit every year and all uneatable. The skins are very furry and thick. By the time the peach is mature it splits on the seam and opens up to the seed. Then it begins to bruise. I've picked them when they are ripe and have to use them right then and by the time I cut away the bruising, it isn't worth the trouble. They do not freeze well and become very mushy when thawed. Would love to harvest but just end up throwing all the fruit away. I was told since it's a flowering peach this is the reason for the bad fruit. But because it produces in such large quantity, I was wondering if there is something I can do to turn this fruit around. Would love to eat a juicy peach.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

1955, wow that's an old peach!! I'd say there is nothing you can do if it's really a flowering peach. On a tree that old I'd be reluctant to prune back and try grafting on another variety. It would likely kill the tree. If you want good fruit plant a tree of a good eating peach.