Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant fruit trees?

Posted by sarahkincheloe 8b, Austin TX (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 11:50

I'm buying a house in Austin and plan to move in May. I'm trying to find out if I can go ahead and plant some trees in May or wait until the fall/winter.

I've read that it's best to do either a month after the first frost or a month before the last frost... so that would be December or February. Obviously I would not plant anything during the brutal summer but was wondering if May is okay. Of course the nurseries are full of beautiful fruit trees right now, I wonder if they will even have anything in winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant fruit trees?

may is too late for me up here in MI.. so its too late in TX ... i like to have them in the ground 6 to 8 weeks before the heat of summer ...

i do not know the precise timing for TX ...

we prefer to plant DORMANT trees... so they have some time to grow some roots.. before they leaf out ...

and to get truly good fruit trees.. you mail order.. DORMANT trees ..

i would NOT buy bigboxstore trees in may.. and hope they have been properly taken care of since spring ... [or ever actually...lol]

so ID the proper planting time.. get all moved in.. and plan for then ... i am sure you will have plenty to do before planting time

ken

o

Thanks... I'll plan to mail order then, and plant in the winter.

I imagined planting all kinds of things (peaches, plums, pears, apples, pomegranate) but the 1/10 acre already has 5 HUGE pecan trees (not that I'm complaining...) so maybe it will be good for me to have time to live there and really think about how I want to use my limited space :)

o

Since you are in 8b, you can get started and go with Anna and Golden Dorsett the main stay for Southern apples. I would only plant one of each unless you have a huge demand. The Anna is a great all round apple for fresh eating and baking. Its pollinator, the Golden Dorsett is a good but not great apple for fresh eating but not for cooking.If any are left at the nursery they will be in pots so you can plant them anytime.

Then mail order additional bareroots come late fall.

o

I've researched the best varieties for my county through the Texas A&M extension and they say fuji, gala, granny smith, pink lady and mutsu, so I'll probably go with one of those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here