Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries from root

Posted by victory_gardener88 CO (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 11:51

Hey all! I'm fairly new at growing things, used to help my mom out with her gardens, but haven't done anything on my own...until now :D
I'm very excited, and have been having stellar results with everything I've planted/sprouted so far, except for my strawberries. I bought a bag of strawberry roots from the store a few weeks ago, and just planted them last weekend. Unlike the Dinnerplate Dahlias that I planted from roots, these aren't coming up! The roots were very bunched together, and though I could see the tops of the baby plants, I didn't try to separate them because I didn't want to hurt them.
They are in a good potting soil, mixed with an organic "starting soil", and I'm keeping everything damp at least, but still no growth.
HELP! I really want to see the lil guys take off... what can I do?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries from root

Dig them all up and separate them now, hoping they're still dormant. If they start to grow, they'll be even more tangled up.

Strawberries should be planted 8" to a foot apart.

That "baby plant" is called the crown. You need to plant so that the bottom of the crown is exactly at the soil line - not buried, not sticking up high so the roots show.

Then give them some time to start growing without being too impatient.

o

Thank you! How can I separate them without damaging the roots?

o

Just hold the plantlets and pull them apart. They can take a few broken roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here