Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late for me to prune my asian persimmon?

Posted by Ferroplasm 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 11:52

I'm in zone 7b, near the triangle of NC. The persimmon is a fuyu that I planted last spring. I have never pruned it and am not sure if I should now, however the buds are beginning to swell and I think it will likely leaf out in the next couple weeks. Should I prune it? Is it too late?

This picture was taken last season. The tree is about this size now but has obviously not yet leafed out.

Edit: Uploaded a picture.

This post was edited by Ferroplasm on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 12:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late for me to prune my asian persimmon?

Ferroplasm,
Looks like I have the same scenario like yours. I planted my fuyu last spring. It started leafed/branched out in the mid season from the bottom up. I cut off the bottom part and leave the top part to encourage the plant to leafed out more on top rather than at the bottom. Good luck

o

If thats all the tree grew last year you may just want to let it put on some more growth. Or if you want to keep it lower take off that top bit.

You can prune any time, don't worry about getting it while dormant. Well, early fall is not the best time. But any other time of year you can prune.

Scott

o

Thanks, scottfsmith. I guess I'll keep it unpruned for now. It really didn't grow much last year, which isn't abnormal from what I've read. I'll see how it responds this spring and summer to a small amount of fertilizer and probably decide whether it needs a trim next winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here