Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
asian pear not happy after transplanting

Posted by rhewhton 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 11:56

Last October I moved one of my asian pears to one part of my yard to another and it is now having issues. Background: this tree was planted in its original spot in my yard (from a potted tree purchased at a nursery) during the Fall of 2010. It is currently about 3-4 feet high. In the thread below I posed a question about pruning this tree and there are images in the thread that shows what it looked like this winter when it was dormant (and in its new location):

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0109393119306.html

Anyway, I did a bit of pruning last winter and at first everything looked fine when it leafed out this spring. However in the past 2 weeks the leaves have started looking kind of droopy. It is definitely kind of stressed. As soon as I noticed this I watered the tree and it bounced back for a couple days before looking droopy again. So I have been watering it every 3 days or so and hoping it snaps out of it. I did my best to preserve as many of the roots as possible when I moved it but undoubtedly I damaged/pruned some of these. Is there anything else I can do to help my tree pull through? Thanks, Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: asian pear not happy after transplanting

is it or did it bolt due to hot weather.. w/o having enough of a root mass to support it all???

it might seem so.. if it recovers with water ...

insert finger.. and water when it needs it.. not on some schedule.. and cool the soil with proper mulch if you havent..

only time will tell ...

ken

o
RE: asian pear not happy after transplanting

Ken, I'm not sure what you mean by 'bolt'. It came out of dormancy in late March and had some blooms on it for the first time. The top photo on this web-page (see link below) shows the tree as it was coming out of dormancy. So I thought it had survived the transplant last Fall in good shape. Here in Maryland we really haven't had hot weather yet. Since I started noticing the droopy leaves I don't think it has gotten above the 70's though we could use rain. I'm a little concerned about watering it too much though. I suppose another possibility is that a borer is damaging the roots. Does this seem plausible? Anyway, you are probably right that there's not much I can do at this point except make sure it is adequately watered. The only other (desperate) action I can think of would be to do some additional pruning to lower the number of leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: pear in late march

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here