Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toka Plum Pruning

Posted by canadianplant 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 12:02

**please let me know if the link does not work for you. In the past it has worked for me, but no one else with some pics.

In the link supplied, is a Toka plum I bought. Its about 10 feet tall, and seems all around healthy, and also has a pretty good root system. The problem is that I dont think the way it has been pruned is "proper". The way I see it, the whole top half needs to go.

Any suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: toka plum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toka Plum Pruning

ok, so after even more reading, and a dozen different search queries, Ive come to the conclusion, that the odd top growth, is there to help aid the browth of the lower branches. It seems like im going to have to cut JUST above them (turns out the center trunk is at the perfect angle to be cut, I now see why its grown this way). That, plus the removal of a few of th elower branches is what I need to get it into shape.

The problem now, is that most of the pruning is recommended to be done in late winter, namely before or just at bud swell. As you can see in the pic, there is leaves and flowers already. Its not to late to prune it? SHould I wait till I plant it to prune, or do it while its in the pot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here