Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Tree Disease

Posted by buffbenj GA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 12:03

I live in NE GA and have 8 apple trees. 4 are blooming, but the 4 that are not have a black discoloration on the trunk. They are contiguous in line, separate from the 4 healthy ones. Is this a common fungal infection or insect infestation. One of the diseased trees has a 2" x 6" area on the trunk where the bark is gone and the wood is soft and rotten. There are alot of fresh woodpecker holes on this one tree. I could cut this half of the trunk, but this tree may be a goner. I do show one of the healthy ones with new bud/leaf growth. I have contacted the UGA cooperative extension service, but wanted a comparison opinion. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Tree Disease

If they're not leafing out then it's time to take them out.
If one stem happens to show life then cut the other one off.

o
RE: Apple Tree Disease

Four trees don't often die in the same spot, did something happen to the soil in the area around the trees, or is it in a low area that was flooded for a period? Usually its a root problem when this happens. Fireblight can kill trees but on bigger trees like that you will see it on the top and not at the base. What you are seeing on your trees just sounds like dead wood, no disease in particular.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here