Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizing a Mont Royal Plum

Posted by misterpatrick 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 12:09

Hello all,

I have a Mont Royal plum tree in the yard of the house we purchased last year. We got no fruit last year due to really strong Asian beetles which decimated the tree. I'm hopeful this year and was wondering if I should fertilize (and what kind) the tree now that it's spring. The tree itself is about 50 years old. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizing a Mont Royal Plum

50 year old tree transplanted...wow! By Spade?

Mount Royal is fairly slow growing I found out,.. so you can't expect much growth, top dress with compost or old manure, if you haven't got any, use miracle grow. You can't really expect fruit for a couple of years until the tree is established in it's roots.

o

Thanks for the tips. The tree has been here about 50 years, we've only been here a year. So not a transplant, just an old fruit tree.

o

Sure....I dont know what I was reading.
Hopefully you get fruit this year, a tree this old in fairly good shape should give you some serious amount of fruit.
Mount Royal is just barely hardy for here in town, outside, where my nursery is
it is not hardy and never have fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here