Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberries

Posted by bigpinks 6SCOhio (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 12:12

What is the best thornless blackberry in your opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberries

The ones bred by the University of Ark. program are great, EXCEPT they are very marginal in terms of cane hardiness in Zone 6. I lose the canes about 3 years out of 4. But, that 4th year, which is THIS year due to the exceptionally mild winter, will be great -- they look fantastic now, and I know I'm going to get a ton of nice berries.

I have tried Chester, and its a dog - very weak for me, planted right next to all of my other blackberries which thrive, so it's not the conditions, and it hasn't done anything to speak of in 3 years.

o

I have Navaho, Chester, and 2 other from Arkansas, and Triple Crown beats them all in my soil.

o

Mine are Apache and Arapaho and I could get cuttings from these six plants but I wanted to check to see if I might be smarter to not put all my eggs in the same basket. This is the second yr and the plants have covered a 6'x 15' cyclone fence. They are 20% bloomed and covered with buds so I guess I will see how they finish.

o

My Chester's are very productive, but they never really get sweet. My favorite is Triple Crown, followed by Doyle.
-Glenn

o

For me Doyle is the most productive (by far). The next is Triple Crown.
Olga

o

Triple crown, on average, has received the most positive comments on this forum over the past few years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here