Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momoeight_gw

chickens/nitrogen/aphids/fruit trees question

momoeight
12 years ago

I have a 2 year old grafted, 5-in-one plum tree. Last fall when it was one year old, I got chickens and I built their run where the plum tree is. There is landscape gravel in the area where the tree is planted. Well, obviously, there is a lot of fresh chicken manure around the tree. I was worried that the tree might die due to "burning" from the manure. But this Spring the tree was looking great. Lots of blossoms, setting fruit, etc. I just noticed that the leaves on a couple of the grafts are curled and they have aphids. I read on another post on here that aphids are attracted to high nitrogen fertilized plants. So my question is two fold. Anybody have any suggestions for how to balance the nitrogen load the tree is getting? I cannot do much about the manure. I do clean up as much as possible and remove it from the area, but there is still a lot. Is there something else I should add? Second, what is the best way to deal with the aphids. Since it is in the chicken run, I need to be careful so as not to harm the birds. Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Comments (3)