Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Are these Berries?

We recently purchased a neglected and overgrown property, and aggressively removed several thickets of vines.

Within the overgrowth was a rose, and I thought this was a rose too because of it's thorns, but the Name that Plant forum thinks it's a blackberry or raspberry.

There are several of these popping up.

Suzi

Comments (7)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another photo

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Yuppers. Defintely blackberries or raspberries. Now - the issue with either of those being in the ground is you will have them invade EVERYTHING. Better to try to dig them up, put them in pots that sit on a concrete stepping stone, and never let a cane touch the ground. That way, you can enjoy the berries without them spreading EVERYWHERE.

Patty S.

• steve_in_los_osos
    11 years ago

Probably bird-planted escapees, a hazard of growing brambles. Try to get them now unless you want them there. If you miss a piece of root the plant will come back...and back....and back...

I speak from bitter experience. RoundUp may be your friend, and even it has trouble with brambles.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to you for your ID and advice!

I think they are in a good place where they are. They are popping up on two sides of a wrought iron fence. The concrete driveway borders one side, so no worries there. A huge rock outcropping borders the other side, and if they grow in an around the fence, I won't have to worry about planting things in the stone!

This photo was taken prior to the appearance of these berries.

As to what you say about round-up not working very well, we have been trying to kill hundreds of suckers from a liquidamber that we removed. Finally, in desperation, we went and spoke to the local home depot garden manager, and he told us not to get the pre-mixed stuff. He said to mix it ourselves with a generic brand, and to mix it strong! His suggestion seems to be working on those suckers!

Thanks for the good answers!

Suzi

• insteng
    11 years ago

From the location I would let them grow. I have them growing on my fences at my farm. It is easier to pick them off the fences. I just mow down the ones that get too far away from the fences so they are pretty easy to keep under control for me.

• steve_in_los_osos
    11 years ago

Just be aware that if they are bird-planted and the original berries were hybrids, you don't know exactly what you are going to get.

Case in point, I grow "thornless" boysenberries. It's a battle with the birds to get my share and they do make a mess of them. Volunteer seedlings are quite different from the canes that emerge from the base of the plant. The most obvious difference is wicked thorns. I've never let them get to the fruiting stage.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know how or who planted them. The original owner of the property built the house and planted many vines, trees and shrubs. Some of the trees are fruit trees.

The next owner bought the property as a foreclosure many years ago, and also added many fruit trees and vines.

If I see her, I'll ask about the berries origins. We are lucky that her husband owns a large nursery in town, and sometimes we catch her there. She has been very helpful with answers to many of our questions.

Thornless Boysenberries sound great! I'll have to get some of those. There are lots of places on 1.4 acres to plant many things!

Suzi