Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikea_gw

Legacy blueberry pollination

ikea_gw
11 years ago

Does anyone know if I need a specific type of blueberry bush to pollinate Legacy? I believe Legacy is a cross between northern and southern high bush so I am not sure if both northern or southern high bush will pollinate it successfully.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (10)

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

ikea,
    Most of what I've been reading is putting it into the Southern Highbush category.Brady

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Legacy will do well into zone 5. Late mid-season pollinators. In SW mi, Jersey, Elliott, would be my pollinators of choice. What zone are you in?

• antlers
    11 years ago

I am in Zone 5. I have a four year old Legacy that I planted in a large pot. I use it as my pollinator and when things are in full bloom move it around to help pollinate other varieties that I have in-ground since they are scattered around my property not near each other. It works great and the Legacy obviously benefits also. This year it is loaded. My other varieties include BlueRay, Draper, Elliott and Toro. BTW, I purchased this bush from Hartmann's directly from their farm in SW Michigan. I assume that they deal only with northern highbushes due to their location. Legacy has shown to be winter hardy in a pot, all I do is move it up closer to my house near the front door where it gets a little more shelter. It retains it's leaves through winter so we throw a strand of Christmas lights on it and it blends in with everything else in our entryway. Also love the flavor. Very dark blue berry.

• ikea_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Noogy, I am in zone 7a.

So it sounds like two of you use northern highbush but Brady says it is often categorized as a southern highbush. Maybe both types will fertilize Legacy then?

• Noogy
    11 years ago

Yup. It's a tough Northern/Southern hybrid.

• Kudzuman
    11 years ago

Ikea,

I read somewhere that Oneal and Magnolia are recommended pollinators for Legacy. I can't remember the website, it may have been Fall Creek Nursery. I am using Bluecrisp as a pollinator, since it has a similar chill hour rating at 500 hrs.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Great info Erik. I didn't know Legacy could pollinate rabbiteye. I wanted to get a Pink Lemonade but was worried about pollinators. Sounds like my Legacy could help out! PL again is one of those extremely mixed blueberries. Looking at lineage it is very complex with every type in the lineage.

• RobThomas
    9 years ago

That really was great info, Erik. Especially interesting to me as I have Legacy. Thanks.

Edited to add: My Legacy will be going into its third growing season. No flowers the first two years. I've read that Legacy can be slow to bear. Has this been others experience as well? I have three rabbiteye types and Chandler, which all produced in their first or second year.

This post was edited by RobThomas on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 13:21

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

I can't remember the size of mine when first purchased,but almost certain there was some fruit the second year.When they start growing,growth happens fairly quickly.
    The one in the photo,taken today,is about five feet and three years old I think.There is about a foot above the top of the picture that couldn't fit in. Brady

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?