Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Legacy blueberry pollination

Posted by ikea_gw (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 12:23

Does anyone know if I need a specific type of blueberry bush to pollinate Legacy? I believe Legacy is a cross between northern and southern high bush so I am not sure if both northern or southern high bush will pollinate it successfully.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Legacy blueberry pollination

ikea,
Most of what I've been reading is putting it into the Southern Highbush category.Brady

o

Legacy will do well into zone 5. Late mid-season pollinators. In SW mi, Jersey, Elliott, would be my pollinators of choice. What zone are you in?

o

I am in Zone 5. I have a four year old Legacy that I planted in a large pot. I use it as my pollinator and when things are in full bloom move it around to help pollinate other varieties that I have in-ground since they are scattered around my property not near each other. It works great and the Legacy obviously benefits also. This year it is loaded. My other varieties include BlueRay, Draper, Elliott and Toro. BTW, I purchased this bush from Hartmann's directly from their farm in SW Michigan. I assume that they deal only with northern highbushes due to their location. Legacy has shown to be winter hardy in a pot, all I do is move it up closer to my house near the front door where it gets a little more shelter. It retains it's leaves through winter so we throw a strand of Christmas lights on it and it blends in with everything else in our entryway. Also love the flavor. Very dark blue berry.

o

Noogy, I am in zone 7a.

So it sounds like two of you use northern highbush but Brady says it is often categorized as a southern highbush. Maybe both types will fertilize Legacy then?

o

Yup. It's a tough Northern/Southern hybrid.

o

Ikea,

I read somewhere that Oneal and Magnolia are recommended pollinators for Legacy. I can't remember the website, it may have been Fall Creek Nursery. I am using Bluecrisp as a pollinator, since it has a similar chill hour rating at 500 hrs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here