Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help on sick peach tree

Posted by RichAustin 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 12:24

I am new to this forum, hoping to get help with the following problem:
I have a couple of peach trees grown in barely root this spring which look sick(see the pictures), They young leaves are becoming yellow(with some red spots), and the tree gel are oozing out around the leaf stems. Has anyone seen this before. My grow zone is 8 in central Texas.

Thanks in advance.
Rich

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help on sick peach tree

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 18:13

Rich:

It looks something like nitrogen deficiency but also perhaps like wet soil. I don't think iron deficiency. How much are you watering? Apply in fertilizer? What's your soil like: clay, alkaline, drainage?

o
RE: Need help on sick peach tree

HI Fruitnut,

Thanks for the reply.

I did not do much watering, other than the sprinkler(twice a week , 10 minutes each for the grass, the tree is grown in the back yard).

My yard has typically central Texas hill country area type of soil, alkaline, with lots of rocks underneath. So when I planned the tree, I put in some soil purchased from local nursery to fill the holes, this soil is pretty sandy mixing with compost. I did a soil test, it's PH value is around 8, nitrogen based on the color of the test is kind of weak.

Water drainage is pretty good for the tree hole. I had not applied any fertilizer ever since it was grown in Feb.

Thanks
Rich

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here