Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goji Berry Hardiness Question

Posted by fignut 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 12:35

I planted several Goji Berry plants here last year in Zone 6a. We've had some warm days and they are leafing out. My lilacs are leafing out, but I know they are hardy and will tolerate a cold snap. Will the Goji Berry plants take freezing temperatures at this point or should they be protected from frost like a fig tree?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goji Berry Hardiness Question

My Gojis are in their second year and are fully leafed out and took 27 degrees last night and look fine.
They took multiple freezes last year and did fine.
Got them at 6 inches tall and they are 3 feet tall as of today.

o

Thank you. That saves me from covering it up.

o

I'm worried mine died over the winter. This was going to be my first spring with it, so I don't know what to expect.

I'm in Cleveland, Zone 6b, and almost all my other tree/bushes have either leafed out, or the buds are noticeably swollen, and I am not seeing any signs of life out of the Goji.

Do the buds swell before leafing out? Should I have already seen growth?

o

My Goji does wait on heat, and take some freezing after leaves out. Plant does do a lot bush growing after comes out winter mind doubled plant size already this season. And now new growth flowering, when heat comes I think yours start bearing fruit.

o

They need days at least in the upper 60's or mid 70's for several weeks to leaf out. I wouldn't worry just yet.

o

That's great news! Thanks for the input!

o

Still no signs of life from my Goji plant. Any other Northern OH Goji growers out there? Are your goji plants leafing out, or in bud swell yet?

It's my first spring with the plant, so IDK what to expect. It had a 1 year guarantee, so I can replace it, but I'd rather not waste my time if it is still just dormant.

We've had like 2 - 3 weeks of temps consistently in the 60s - 70s and hotter, so I'm starting to think it is dead.

o

I'm in zone 3 in central Alberta and my two gogi plants leafed out a couple weeks ago, about the same time as most other trees. Apples are in full bloom here now, to give you some perspective on where we are along in Spring. Sorry, but I think yours are toast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here