Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olpea

Just a pic

olpea
10 years ago

I took a pic of this Rosy Gage in my yard this morning and thought it pretty. I've not seen any of my other Euro plums flower this profusely, but they are still pretty young. I love the way plum flowers smell.

Peaches are at petal fall here. It got pretty cold last night so I'd be surprised if we didn't get some freeze damage.

Comments (12)

• johnnysapples
    10 years ago

Nice!
    I am waiting for my trees to bloom. It's probably a good thing that they haven't. It's been cold on and off, and its snowing again here!

• john222-gg
    10 years ago

veary nice you should be proud takes good care to look good

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

I envy that nice load of flowers on a Euro plum! I have many different Euros flowering this year but nothing like that level. I hope my trees are at that point in a few years. My Green Gage is flowering for the first time this year.

Scott

• murkwell
    10 years ago

That pictures makes me covet a deer fence.

• johnnysapples
    10 years ago

He must not have deer. I know it would be gone if he did.

• beeman_gardener
    10 years ago

He can't have rabbits either. All my low stuff has gone again this year. Next year a HUGE rabbit fence.

• olpea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah Scott I didn't think it was necessarily normal for a Euro plum to flower that much. That's sorta what caught my attention. I don't know if it was the drought or something else but it put a ton of new spurs last summer.

We don't have deer at the house, but do have rabbits. I've never seen rabbits attack our mature trees but I know they can be a real problem in places.

The tree isn't quite a short as the picture makes it seem. Tree's about 6' tall.

• murkwell
    10 years ago

If you get a fruit set on those like I did on my European last year those branches are going to be touching the ground.

Happy times.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Nice showing, hopefully you get a nice crop,..have you had in the past?
    If it was my tree, that lower branch had to go.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

Just a guess, but is that tree around 10 years old?

• olpea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For some reason, the picture is really deceptive (apologize for that).

I do hope it needs thinned. The lowest branch is 32" off the ground (at the tip, not where it attaches on the trunk). The trunk is 4.5" in diameter (at the base). It's placed in a mound that is currently 22" tall (I think that's what's throwing the picture off).

It's actually a pretty young tree. My map shows I planted it in Spring 2009. I think it's done well because it's in a mound. I'm really finding just about everything here does better in a mound, not just peaches.

Konrad, this tree only gave 4 fruit last year. Although it didn't bloom near as much, I think the problem was pollination. Who knows what it will do this year. We've had very cool weather so there haven't been a lot of pollinators. I like the fruit though, and planted another one of these at the farm this spring.

This post was edited by olpea on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 10:54

• franktank232
    10 years ago

Wow...that has done well. I have an Alderman (American/Japanese) plum that was planted i believe in 2006 (spring) and the trunk doesn't seem as thick as that.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living