Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 in 1 Plum-Italian Prune. Anyone want it?

Posted by blazeaglory 9b/10 Z22 OC Ca (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 12:50

I have a 3 in 1 plum tree with a Santa Rosa, Satsuma and Italian Prune. The problem is is that the Italian prune has too high of a chill hour (800) for my area. I have heard that in the multiple type of trees that one can over take the other as far as growth goes. So I was thinking. Should I just chop the Italian Prune off? The tree is about 6 feet tall with a 3/4 caliper. It is only growing leaves now. The Santa Rosa and Satsuma are growing nice but the Italian has just begun to show small green leaves. I think the tree is about 3-4 years. I want to cut the Italian prune to encourage growth is the other 2. I feel bad just throwing it away. Does anyone want it? I will send it if you give me instructions on how to clip and package. Suggestions please? Thank You

Should I try to root it in a pot? Am I correct to cut it off to let the other 2 grow? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 in 1 Plum-Italian Prune. Anyone want it?

So if no one wants it should I just cut it off and throw it away?

o

I doubt if it can be saved that way, and you have good reason for removing it.

o

It might be too late to send it as scion wood for someone to graft onto one of their trees but someone might want to try it anyway. Do you have anything else you could graft it onto, if only for practice?
Dan

o

Yeah maybe but it will not bear fruit in this area. Out of the three plums I have this one looks the best. The leaves are perfect and beautiful. I feel sad just clipping it and getting rid of it. Its my best looking plum!

What is the worst that could happen if I leave it on the tree? I have leaves and no fruit? Maybe by some miracle it will fruit. Worst comes to worst I can cut it at a late time? Im confused. My sympathetic nature is causing my indecision...hehehe

o

Generally, a sympathetic nature is something we need to modify. Still, leaving it on the tree probably won't do a lot of harm.

One problem might be that if it did flower and fruit it might do so out of synch with your Asian plums, causing difficulty in maintaining a spray schedule.

o

I have Italian plums (one of the few fruit trees the deer don't eat!) but they only bloom every other year. Has yours missed two years of blooms...or is it just now old enough to bloom?

They're tasty plums for baking, so if you decide to separate it...I'd try to save it and plant it further out in the yard. The birds love them for sitting and yelling at the cats (the trees aren't really big enough for nesting) but they are pretty, when they bloom! And they bring in lots of bumblebees and other beneficial insects :)

The tree on the left is the Italian plum...

From Lavender's Garden

And this one, on the left, is actually a bunch of smaller shoots (I think it was cut down long ago) that came up and grew together, as one big tree.

From Lavender's Garden

These pictures are from last week! The snow finally melted and it's supposed to be in the 50s and 60s this week. I'll take some more pictures, when them bloom.

o

Man thats nice! That is why I am looking for land up north in OR or maybe in NV or AZ.

Im in So California and this year in my are we got less than 450 chill hours so the Italian will not flower. I think it is strange how Pacific Groves grafted two low chill variety Japanese plums and a 800 hour high chill Euro plum. I love PG but I found this a little strange. I think I will leave it on the tree. It is growing nice now and it is the best looking of the three. If it ever becomes a problem Ill chop it but until then Ill leave it alone :)

Thanks for the pics! Keep em coming. I would love to see them when they flower.

o

Alright, I'll post some pictures, when they bloom in a few weeks! Here's the apple tree from last year...it would be just to the right (out of the picture) in the second shot. Those are lilacs, all along the right hand side.

The plums didn't bloom, but they were beautiful, the year before :)

From Lavender's Garden

o

Im thinking about buying a vacation home in WA!! Ill vacation during the apple season :)

o

blaze, I'll take your tree if you don't want it. I have just enough chill hours to probably get fruit from it out in the hills of Vista. Just let me know. I can rendezvous with you at maybe a half way point??

Patty S.

o

Patty. It was a cutting from a 3 in 1 plum that I chopped yesterday and gave to my uncle in Palmdale. If he gets it to take I can always take some more cuttings from it and let you know?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here