Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with Mount Royal Plum

Posted by misterpatrick 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 12:54

Hello all,

the house I purchased last included a Mount Royal plum tree that's probably older than 30 years. Last year it was decimated by Japanese beetles and this spring has yet to put forth any buds. I am wondering if it is just slow getting going or if it has died. The crab apple next to it is in full bloom right now.

If it has died, what are the next steps for replacement? Cut it down, pull the stump somehow and replant? I've never replaced a tree before.

What are some nice varieties of self-pollinating plum for zone 4? Should I stick with the mount royal of look at something else?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with Mount Royal Plum

Mt. Royal is usually slow in spring, give it another 2 weeks, scrape the bud and stem open and see if green.
If dead, I would cut it down and leave a 2 foot stump, it might shoot out again.

o
RE: Problem with Mount Royal Plum

Thanks Konrad,

I was hoping it might be something like that. We purchased the property last spring so not sure what the cycle is with this particular tree. I'll give it a few more weeks and see what's up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here