Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mara des Bois vs Sunlight/heat

Posted by julianna 7b AR (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 13:01

Alright, one more quick question. I've decided I would like to order Mara des Bois from Nourse. I've got a north-facing recessed balcony (yuck) and I have hung boxes off the railing. They will get 2-2.5 hours of sun in the morning and then about the same in the evening, so a minimum of 4 hours of total FULL sun. The rest of the time they are in bright shade, but still shade nonetheless. I know this will diminish fruiting, but is it enough to make the yield unbearably low to non-existent? Part of the reason I had chosen MdB was that it is listed as tolerating partial shade.

Fraise des Bois was another I was looking at, but I thought mara would be better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mara des Bois vs Sunlight/heat

The heat part which I somehow forgot in the original post is that we are pretty hot here in the Delta, with high humidity all summer. Last summer we had almost 60 days around 100* although not quite for most of them. So I was thinking it could be to their advantage to be shaded from the midday sun as well...

o

Hi, I responded to your second post. But 'Mara des Bois' which I've been growing for the past four years need sun, FULL sun. If not, they will die. Sorry.

o

I grew MdB for several years in various degrees of sun and shade. With four hours you won't get nearly as much fruit but I don't see any reason they would die; I had some in about that much sun. Do make sure you keep them perfectly weed-free and heavily thinned so there is no overlap between plants.

Scott

o

Thanks guys! How much space do you think they will need? They will be easy to keep weed free as they're going to be in my window boxes 3 floors up :)

I e-mailed Nourse who said 4 hours will work although yes, as I supposed, it will just diminish fruiting.

Already today I had to move back my partial shade plants from the railing as they had begun to burn under the sun which is increasing :) So hopefully the little experiment will work!

Thanks again,
Julianna

o

Sorry what I meant by die, is they will not make it through a winter. Mrs. G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here