Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you stake your berries?

Posted by christinmk z5b eastern WA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 13:02

I'm contemplating putting raspberries, blackberries, and a Tayberry in my front yard. I've had a raspberry patch out back for awhile, but have never bothered to stake/train the canes in any way since they aren't very long (as in comparison to blackberries).

I'm curious to know if you guys stake or train your plants on a frame and what it looks like (pics very welcome). What is your method, what is the longevity of the structure, and how has it worked out for you overall? It just dawned on me that if I staked the plants they wouldn't take up quite as much room as far as width. Duh. Lol.
Thanks much!
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you stake your berries?

I use a two tiered trellis system. First tier has catch wires at 24" elevation, 2 foot separation. Next tier is at 5' elevation, 4' seperation. This allowes the vines to "fall" on given catch wires. I tie a weight to each cane an sting it up onto the wire if the cane does not reach naturally. I can send a picture this evening.

o
RE: Do you stake your berries?

It depends what you are growing. I don't trellis my raspberries but I do trellis the blackberries. I am only growing trailing and semi-erect type blackberries, the erect types need no trellis.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here