Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CAR Gall Sighting

Posted by blackrag 6A/East PA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 13:02

Been very dry here the last few weeks. Had a pathetic shower this am, but enough to bring out the first Cedar Apple Rust "alien" galls. Glad I got some Immunox on this week. Chad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CAR Gall Sighting

Yep. Last night's rain brought them from dried out to full jelly overnite. Glad I sprayed before the rain, for the scab.

o

Thanks for the sighting tips, I never see the galls here but I get the spots on my apple leaves.

Maybe diseases will be lower this year with so little spring rain -- all the spores are engineered to come out now and if there is no rain they are toast.

Scott

o

CAR galls sit and wait until conditions are right and wet, then they expand overnight. They can sometimes do it again, later.

o

What I was getting at is without much rain they may not be able to get all their spores out, they may expand but then run out of water before fully expanded, then they dry up again etc. Too many of those cyclesand they are probably not going to get the spores out. I haven't had more than 15 minutes of rain here for two weeks, that is very unusual spring weather.

Scott

o

Yes, until this weekend we were seriously dry here, downright weird in April. I was commenting on the way they can come back again for another try at sporulating, long after you thought they were done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here