Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
m106 for scion grafting

Posted by ligrower long island (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 13:03

I am going to purchase an apple tree from a local Agway nursery. The trees come from Hollybrook Orchard and I have learned that their trees are on m 106 rootstock.
The reason I am getting this tree is to graft scion on to it. I ordered to many varieties to put on my existing tree. I realize the root stock determines most of the height but will the apple variety also have an impact on the overall size of the tree? I would like to have less summer pruning. The varieties they have are Cortland, Granny Smith and red Delicious. There are a few other locations I can visit. Is there a variety/trunk that would be best suited for grafting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: m106 for scion grafting

Ligrower,

You are correct in the vigor of the apple variety having an
impact on height also. I cannot vouch for granny smith as
our season is not long enough for it, but cortland and red delicious are both very vigorous varieties. Years ago I worked at an orchard with red delicious on M26 and was surprised to find them 12' tall! Cortland on 111 and 106
was very tall too. Yet the jonathan on M7 was so wimpy we
cut them down as they runted out and never filled out the block properly. We ended up re-planting jonathan on 111
since such a wimpy grower.

M106 is very prone to collar rot in my area. I prefer M111. Perhaps not an issue in your area of the country.

Most orchardists will use many types of rootstocks depending on the vigor of the variety. Usually varieties with low vigor or selections that are spur-type are put on
a more agressive rootstock.

o
RE: m106 for scion grafting

Thanks for the feedback Spartan. I have two other apple trees from laurel bay on 111 and another from Henry Leuthardt on unknown. From my limited experience and others who have posted I do not believe root rot will be an issue. I think that i will chose a vigorous variety because when I cut the scaffolds and graft them I do not want competition for central leader. I Have 6 scion varieties:

gold rush
ginger gold
arkansas black
grimes golden
williams pride
gravenstein

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here