Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raw_nature

Blueberries - help!

Raw_Nature
11 years ago

I am looking for advice and opinions about how I plan on growing blueberries before I jump into it and find out I mad abhuge mistake..

I have a 5 foot wide by 80 ft row oriented east to west, gets great sun(more than 6 hours). I have clay soil roughly 6.5 pH.. What I planned on doing was:

-not tilling the native soil
-just installing a raised bed filled with compost an peat moss
-spacing the blueberries 4 foot on center
- irrigating with acidic water(roughly 6-6.5 pH)..
- I have a filter that filters chlorine and makes water acidic for your skin, it's a shower filter..

The row is 80 foot, I planned on doing half the row blueberries(40 foot/4 foot spacing= 10 blueberries... The other 40 foot I would like other fruiting shrubs spacing at roughly 4 foot or similar.. I ordered honey berries,gooseberries,one red/black currant, and a jostaberry, I also have goji berries but from my understanding they would not do good(to big) in this hedglike growing row.. Any other fruiting shrubs that i should plant? I'm mainly looking for fresh eating..

I need 10 blueberries.. I already have:

Early ripening:
1x earlieblue

Mid ripening:
1xBlueray
1x bluecrop
2x rubel

Late ripening:
1xjersey

That's 6 blueberries i already have, I need 4 more! Any one have any gold varieties you recommend.. As you could see I'm trying o extend the season by getting early,mid, late ripening varieties.. I heard that the early is at danger of late frost killing the blooms and ruining the yield,that's why I am wary about getting more early varies.. Any one notice this to be true? Any advice?

I really appreiate all the help,
Joe

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations