Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayco_gw

Immunox timing during drought?

jayco
10 years ago

I know the timing of Immunox for CAR has been discussed here a lot, and generally speaking I've used Harvestman's advice and sprayed twice, at petal fall and about 2 weeks thereafter, with good results. But I also know the galls need moisture to sporulate, and it's been extremely dry in my area, with no rain forecast for the foreseeable future. Under these conditions should I stick with the schedule, or postpone until it looks like there might be rain? Thanks!

Comments (16)

• thomis
    10 years ago

IMHO I don't think you need to spray unless you get a rain. The galls won't be active without a cool spring rain. There have been a couple years I only had to spray once, then some years I've had to spray four times.
    Do you have some cedars close by you can examine and look for the galls?
    I've sprayed twice so far this spring. Both times I sprayed right after a rain and I saw the galls bright orange on the cedars like Christmas ornaments.
    I don't think the morning dew is enough to activate them. They need a rain. So, no rain, don't spray.
    Hope this helps!

• jayco
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, we have cedars nearby but I've never been able to spot any galls, even though the trees used to get CAR before I began to use the Immunox. Did you spray before bloom? My trees are just now blooming.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

I agree, no rain no spray.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Have you had CAR in the past? If so, there must be some galls around somewhere that you can check.

• jayco
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the trees are affected, so I know there are galls. I have checked the nearest cedars and never have seen them.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

If your weather is as dry as we are experiencing here in SE NY, I don't think you need to worry about fungus much, right now, unless you had severe infection last year. Anyway, a post petal fall spray will certainly round it up nicely and I will be putting some Rally in my mix even if it stays fairly dry till that time- just in case rain comes after spray. Doesn't take much to get things started.

• jayco
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Harvestman. Your advice has been very helpful to me. Yes, I live in the lower Hudson Valley, so we're dry here. I got no CAR last year since I sprayed, but my Goldrush was hit hard when I didn't, so I guess I'll follow your plan and spray at petal fall or if it rains.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

I bet you'll be fine if you wait until petal fall no matter what.

• jayco
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great, thank you so much! It's very kind of you to supply so much expert advice.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Hman - does that recommendation take scab into account? I always have thought you need a pre-bloom spray first, for scab.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Here, I control scab at sites that have susceptible trees with only two sprays starting at petal fall. In worst scab years I've never had significant damage- so far- 20 years I've been a licensed sprayer using myclobutanil mixed with captan..

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Good to know.

Do you do your petal fall disease spray separately from spraying for curculio?

• Michael
    10 years ago

Let's see, you need 4 things for a CAR infection -

1) galls within 2 miles

2)

3) water on the galls for a period of time I have yet to nail down, that time is temperature dependent for sure.

4) Warm enough temps.. I'm currently observing this year's crop starting to push out the very beginnings of the horns after 24 hrs. at 40 deg. while wet the whole time. From observations in years past, a few hours wetted at 70 deg. will result in a full blown telial horn eruption. This year is bizzare in that we have had 24+ hrs. of sufficient wetting with temps apparently too low for the galls to sprout their horns fully.

Beware those galls that slightly sprout their telial horns slightly and then dry up, darned things can have one heck of an eruption later under the right wetting + temp. conditions. Also, in the big cedars around here a light rain may only get the outside hanging and uppermost galls to erupt, don't be fooled into thinking all is safe for the year as a round of heavy rain can then wet those galls deeper in the tree that weren't wetted the first time and you get another round, OH JOY! BTW, a gall that just got started but didn't quite get it's slimy horns out looks kinda like a porcupine covered with needle-like projections.

In summary, Observe the cedars carefully and often when it is raining and you'll know for sure what is happening. Good thing Immunox has a Kickback of how many days Hman, 2 or 3?

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

I mix the fungicide with the insecticide.

• Michael
    10 years ago

Oops, 2) susceptible tissue

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Thanks, Hman.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting