Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum planting

Posted by canadianplant Ontario zone 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 13:06

THe Toka plum I purchased finally got a good haircut. My neighbor gladly helped me (in exchange for me digging over his garden bed ) as the tree was grown quite odd.

The thing is, he suggested that I plant the tree a foot DEEPER then it is in the pot. Yes, it is grafted, roughly 5 cm above the soil line. Toka plum are said to be hardy to zone 4, and even zone 3, so I dont see any reason why I should plant it so deep.

I could also see his reasoning, because his trees arent grafted. Im pretty sure if I planted it that deep, ill be surrounded by shoots from above the graft right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum planting

Is the plum grafted on dwarfing rootstock or standard rootstock?

Graft referencing the point where the rootstock and scion meet.

If it is on dwarfing rootstock then you plan to limit the height of the plant so plant the graft 2-4 inches above the soil.

If it is on standard rootstock plant the graft 2-4 inches deeper than the ground level.

o

The tag says 12 - 14ft - that sounds like semi dwarf to me (there is no specific reference as to dwarf/semi/standard).

According to the ontario government website, the standard for plum root stocks in Ontario is Myrobalan B (My tree was grown in southern ontario). This is a semi dwarf from what I can read.

So, Im assuming, that my neighbor is thinking of old grafting, rather then the semi dwarf. I dont want my tree to loose the benefits of the root stock.

o

The only reason to plant it that deep would be to have it go own root. But planting it deep will slow down the tree and it isn't very good for it. And there isn't any reason to assume the rootstock wouldn't be hardy.

o

Will toka grow roots?...If it doesn't' I would plant as is, otherwise the tree could be flopping around in the hole with no roots and might rot?

o

Thanks athenainwi and Konrad (again :D). My neighbor is extremely knowledgeable, but I had to double check him on this one. My first instinct was to plant it at the same level as in the pot, plus some good compost and or mulch.

I read that japanese plums can be suffocated if planted too deep. So yes, I would assume it would rot. His prunign advice is second to none though. Pruned it up in a minute.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here