Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery plum tree?

Posted by steve_in_los_osos CA 10a/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 13:11

I grafted a scion from a local exchange last year onto some rootstock. The scion was supposed to be a Satsuma plum. Planted in a group with two other plums (Santa Rosa and Golden Nectar) and a pluot (Dapple Dandy), it is clear that there is something funny about this little tree:

The leaves of the three other trees look identical to each other and nothing like this. I'm positive this is *not* rootstock growth. Older leaves near the base of the tree have less of the pronounced puckering and are a deep green, unlike the lighter green of the other trees' leaves.

Any ideas on what I have, or is Satsuma just that different?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery plum tree?

I have a Satsuma I just put in ground a couple of months ago. It's leafing out and looks nothing like that.

Of course I got my Satsuma at HD which has been known to mislabel...

o
RE: Mystery plum tree?

It looks like the scion may have a virus in it, either it was in or came from the rootstock. It may go away as it grows out. It could also be something else, thats just my best guess.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here