o
Stark's Big Blue plum

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 13:11

Anyone familiar with this variety?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stark's Big Blue plum

Just that it used to be only offered by Miller's nursery until they were sold to Starks.

o

So now I assume it's only offered by Starks

o

Normally, I'm wary of oversized fruits, I don't suppose there's any reason to suppose this one would be different.

o

I have one which I planted in the spring of 2012 from Millers but it hasn't fruited for me yet. It was sent to me in Apr. and I did take a pic. of it around June of that year. The central leader was cut at 3'4" above the graft union and it did have some short side branches on it. Last year I didn't have to do any pruning it, it didn't need any and has a nice natural goblet shape to it. This year I'll have to do some thinning and heading cuts to it since it's around 6' tall now. As far as taste goes even if it did fruit...I don't know since it's the only euro. plum I currently have planted. Hoping to plant another type of euro plum this year.

Lance
p.s. yes it does have mulch around it shortly after planting it though not in the pic. ;)

o

Nice looking tree. Of course it's the quality of the fruit that really interests me, but despite my misgivings about Starks, I've never had a complaint about the quality of any tree I got from them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here