Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black caterpillar with yellow/orange stripes on fruit trees

Posted by sic_transit_gloria z5 KS (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 13:28

For the last two seasons, I am finding these slightly fuzzy black caterpillars with three yellow/orange stripes down their backs (the length of their bodies). These pesky creatures are defoliating apples/pears with abandon. They don't seem to bother the cherries or peaches, but maybe they just haven't discovered them yet.

Anyway, what are these? The nearest thing I can find is the Orange Striped Oakworm. It looks similar to this. Anyone else from Kansas/Mizzou/NE have these critters? If so, what did you use to control them?

Unfortunately, they are really stunting my trees' growth since they eat nearly all of the new leaves.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black caterpillar with yellow/orange stripes on fruit trees

The physical description and damage sounds like Tent caterpillars, but they get their name from the silk shelter (tent) that they make as a group. Do you see anything like that?

Alex

o
RE: Black caterpillar with yellow/orange stripes on fruit trees

There are no tents; just leaf damage and lots of it. There are tent caterpillars in the area, of course, but they seem to come on later in the summer. Maybe these are young caterpillars? They're, at most, 2" in length. They also don't seem as fuzzy as the tent caterpillars I've seen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here