Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Illini Blackberry planting question!

Posted by offgridnatureman 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 13:28

Hi folks,

A question concerning planting some Blackberry's that are not dormant in my still cool climate.

I just got an order in of Illini Hardy Blackberrys...

They came in with "bare-root" scratched off the shipping form and "TC" written in, looks like this means Tissue Culture. They came in with some other Blackberries and Raspberries that are typical bare-root dormant stock.

I don't want to start naming company names as possibly I did not understand when ordering - but I could swear I asked if all stock was dormant bare-root, as I didn't want anything not dormant.

Anyway, these Illini's, are little plugs, green growing plants, I'm worried about planting them outside here in my 8000 foot zone 4 that has another few weeks of freezing temps...although this week is supposed to be nice sunny 60 degree days, nights are still freezing for a few weeks.

Any ideas of what to do? Plant outside, and mulch the top with straw for a few weeks? Pot up in my greenhouse, then attempt to harden up and plant outside in a month or so?

Anyone ever grown Illini's in pots indoors? ; )

Thanks...

AC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Illini Blackberry planting question!

The blackberry leaves can take some pretty cold weather, I dont know the exact cutoff but I planted some this spring which took 25F no problem. So I would plant them. If a super cold low is coming throw some leaves on them. My blackberries usually keep leaves on through half of the winter around here, they must be taking some weather colder than 20F.

Scott

o
RE: Help! Illini Blackberry planting question!

My Doyle blackberries came as a 1' tall plant, which was fully leaved out. During my discussion with the company (for another reason), they said it was fine to plant them (even with them being fully leaf'd out), and a frost wouldn't hurt them. I didn't get an exact temperature from him, but he made it sound like mid 20's wouldn't be a problem. He said that my plants had already been through frosts after being grown in Florida, and then living outside in Indiana for a while. If you plant them and it is going to get cold, you could always put a hat (bucket, leaves as Scott mentions, or something) over the top of them. Good luck,
-Glenn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here