Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theoryofgravity_gw

Opinions wanted: KGRO All-Purpose Plant Food

TheoryOfGravity
11 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'd been voraciously reading about fertilizers from all the good and experienced orchard people here. I'm a budding (ha!) mostly container orchard keeper myself:

In-ground avocado
Container almonds
Container grapes
Container blackberries
Container blueberries
Container Dwarf/Ultra-Dwarf citrus, stone, and pome fruit

I hadn't fertilized at all since planting last year. Mostly everything is growing & fruiting and I'd prefer organic, but I understand the orchard might have to go on water soluble until it can get on a proper schedule for organic to take effect. I went on a search for a locally available fertilizer. Not wanting to be a label-snob at my mini-orchard's peril, I stopped into KMart for their private label garden products and found what my novice eyes sees as a great 3-1-2 formulation with particular minerals that I can't seem to find at the more mainstream places:

KGRO All-Purpose Plant Food
For Vegetables, Houseplants, Roses, Tomatoes, Trees, Evergreens, Flowers, Shrubs, Fruits and Berries
Water Soluble
24-8-16

All water soluble:
.05% - Copper
.10% - Iron
.05% - Manganese
.05% - Zinc

Based on not wanting to order fertilizer and also minimizing a complicated fertilizer program (at least for this first year):

What do you think of the formulation for berry/citrus/nuts/pome/stone trees?
Would you trust it for safety?
Do you know anything about "Knox Fertilizer Co" who makes this for K-Mart?
If this is good, how long should I use it until I transition to organic?
Would you still supplement for any type of fruit in particular?
(Avocado, almonds, apples, blackberry, blueberry, cherry, citrus, grape, nectarine)

Here is the back of the 1.5lb (680g) package:
(the granules look like MiracleGro)

Here is a link that might be useful: KMart's link

Comments (3)