Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade Cloth as Bird Netting/Insect Screening

Posted by shazaam 7B (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 13:40

I'm looking for a way to keep birds, squirrels, and Japanese beetles away from my potted blueberries as they begin to ripen fruit. I have a small greenhouse frame that would be easy to cover, and I'm considering using 30% shade cloth since it's durable and relatively inexpensive. I haven't handled any before, though, so I don't have a good sense of whether the beetles could wriggle through the openings (or if they'd even try). Does anyone have experience with shade cloth and Japanese beetles or an opinion as to how well it might keep them out? Someone asked the same question last year, and others recommended tulle. Tulle is my fallback option, but I'd prefer something more durable that I could reuse over many years.

This post was edited by shazaam on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 13:56

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade Cloth as Bird Netting/Insect Screening

It'll keep out the bugs, but the problem is the shade. Your berries won't be as sweet.

o
RE: Shade Cloth as Bird Netting/Insect Screening

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 14:46

I love my woven black polypropylene 30% shade cloth. It is very durable and snag resistant. After a while there are areas where the weave opens a bit but not enough to let Jap beetles thru.

I read once about a kind where the weave was locked in place by heat. There are also many other kinds of shade cloth both woven and knit.

Some of mine has lasted 30 years covering things like berries. Most berries here, with our intense sun, would do better under 50% shade than anything else. I can't imagine 30% hurting anything anywhere from a light standpoint.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 14:50

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here