Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FHN unknown blueberry: yield and brix

Posted by fruitnut z7,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 13:41

Harvested the FHN unknown with the biggest crop, about a pound. All the plants look like about 0.5 to 1 pound. This from plants that were plugs in late June last year. The brix ran 16. They have a very nice mild sweet flavor, no tartness. I like these better than almost anything else I've had except last years Sweetcrisp.

I'm not sure of the maturity because the first three of these to ripen spent 4-6 weeks in my sunroom, much warmer than the greenhouse. The ones never in the sunroom are a ways from ripe. They may be later than Jewel and Emerald. The berries are as big as those and easier to pick due to a more open cluster. They cleaned up nicely with minimal adhering spent blooms.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FHN unknown blueberry: yield and brix

MIne are equally delicious. Large, almost as large as Emerald. We've been grazing them for the last week or so. Quite excellent! AT least our unknown variety is a superior one!!

Patty S.

o

Patty:

How would you compare the unknown to Emerald for maturity? I think we can figure out what this is at some point. I'd think it has to be something bred in FL.

o

I might point out that I also had several unknowns that were almost uneatable. I've thrown away two and probably should a couple more. I think I got 6 plants of the unknown I like out of 10 Sweetcrisp ordered. The order also included 5 Emerald. Not sure that there are more than two Emerald that are true to type.

o

Sweet deal Fruitnut! I hope my unknown is as good as yours. After looking at your pics and my plants I dont think we have the same unknown variety. I suppose we will see come next spring? I recieved my plants from FHN that they sent due to the mix up. Seems as though I got a pretty good deal. Since I was the first to contact them about the Sweetcrisp they sent me 2 plants of every variety they had that will grow in my zone. Ended up getting 24 plants, 12 varieties. I just got them all potted up into 3 gallon pots last week. If anything it should be a good test to see what varieties will grow in the Houston area. Here are the plants they sent me.

Abundance
Misty
Sharpblue
Gulfcoast
Scintilla
Jewel
Emerald
Sunshine Blue
Springhigh
Primadonna
Windsor
Snowchaser

So far all look healty and activily growing. Most have been in pots now for about 2 weeks. I will keep yall posted on how they perform in the Houston area.

o

Sweet deal Fruitnut! I hope my unknown is as good as yours. After looking at your pics and my plants I dont think we have the same unknown variety. I suppose we will see come next spring? I recieved my plants from FHN that they sent due to the mix up. Seems as though I got a pretty good deal. Since I was the first to contact them about the Sweetcrisp they sent me 2 plants of every variety they had that will grow in my zone. Ended up getting 24 plants, 12 varieties. I just got them all potted up into 3 gallon pots last week. If anything it should be a good test to see what varieties will grow in the Houston area. Here are the plants they sent me.

Abundance
Misty
Sharpblue
Gulfcoast
Scintilla
Jewel
Emerald
Sunshine Blue
Springhigh
Primadonna
Windsor
Snowchaser

So far all look healty and activily growing. Most have been in pots now for about 2 weeks. I will keep yall posted on how they perform in the Houston area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here