Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

FHN unknown blueberry: yield and brix

Harvested the FHN unknown with the biggest crop, about a pound. All the plants look like about 0.5 to 1 pound. This from plants that were plugs in late June last year. The brix ran 16. They have a very nice mild sweet flavor, no tartness. I like these better than almost anything else I've had except last years Sweetcrisp.

I'm not sure of the maturity because the first three of these to ripen spent 4-6 weeks in my sunroom, much warmer than the greenhouse. The ones never in the sunroom are a ways from ripe. They may be later than Jewel and Emerald. The berries are as big as those and easier to pick due to a more open cluster. They cleaned up nicely with minimal adhering spent blooms.

{{gwi:84599}}

Comments (5)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

MIne are equally delicious. Large, almost as large as Emerald. We've been grazing them for the last week or so. Quite excellent! AT least our unknown variety is a superior one!!

Patty S.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Patty:

How would you compare the unknown to Emerald for maturity? I think we can figure out what this is at some point. I'd think it has to be something bred in FL.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I might point out that I also had several unknowns that were almost uneatable. I've thrown away two and probably should a couple more. I think I got 6 plants of the unknown I like out of 10 Sweetcrisp ordered. The order also included 5 Emerald. Not sure that there are more than two Emerald that are true to type.

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

Sweet deal Fruitnut! I hope my unknown is as good as yours. After looking at your pics and my plants I dont think we have the same unknown variety. I suppose we will see come next spring? I recieved my plants from FHN that they sent due to the mix up. Seems as though I got a pretty good deal. Since I was the first to contact them about the Sweetcrisp they sent me 2 plants of every variety they had that will grow in my zone. Ended up getting 24 plants, 12 varieties. I just got them all potted up into 3 gallon pots last week. If anything it should be a good test to see what varieties will grow in the Houston area. Here are the plants they sent me.

Abundance
    Misty
    Sharpblue
    Gulfcoast
    Scintilla
    Jewel
    Emerald
    Sunshine Blue
    Springhigh
    Primadonna
    Windsor
    Snowchaser

So far all look healty and activily growing. Most have been in pots now for about 2 weeks. I will keep yall posted on how they perform in the Houston area.

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

Sweet deal Fruitnut! I hope my unknown is as good as yours. After looking at your pics and my plants I dont think we have the same unknown variety. I suppose we will see come next spring? I recieved my plants from FHN that they sent due to the mix up. Seems as though I got a pretty good deal. Since I was the first to contact them about the Sweetcrisp they sent me 2 plants of every variety they had that will grow in my zone. Ended up getting 24 plants, 12 varieties. I just got them all potted up into 3 gallon pots last week. If anything it should be a good test to see what varieties will grow in the Houston area. Here are the plants they sent me.

Abundance
    Misty
    Sharpblue
    Gulfcoast
    Scintilla
    Jewel
    Emerald
    Sunshine Blue
    Springhigh
    Primadonna
    Windsor
    Snowchaser

So far all look healty and activily growing. Most have been in pots now for about 2 weeks. I will keep yall posted on how they perform in the Houston area.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs