Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberry ?

Posted by m1chael DE (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 13:42

I have had this blackberry plant now going on the third season (IIRC), and just curious if I should trim / prune the two stems that are shown in the pics?

Thanks....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberry ?

Here is a second pic of the plant in case its needed.

Thanks....

o

The canes that emerge one year will produce fruit the next year, then die. Any canes that emerged last year will be your fruiting canes this year so don't prune those unless the tips are dead or you need to shorten them for some reason. Canes that produced fruit for you last year should be dead this year and can be removed.

o

don555-

Thanks for the explanation...I think the cane that emerged last year is good and still alive because I can start to see buds all the way up and down the cane. So I guess I will leave that alone and hopefully it will produce some berries:)

Is it weird that my plant only has one or two canes? I thought it would grow into more of a bush....

o

Probably because it is constrained in a pot. They can get huge so need a lot of room for their roots. Here's a Chester blackberry plant in its second year in my garden. The fence is 6 feet high:
 photo Oct1011blackberrycanes2.jpg

o
Benefits of Oranges

Benefits of Oranges

Health Benefits:
Oranges are rich with citrus limonoids which prevents to fight with varieties of cancer. It also includes the skin,lung, breast, stomach and colon cancer.

Daily having a routine of one glass orange juice pevents kidney diseases and reduce the risk of kidney stones.

Oranges are full of soluble fiber, it help lowering cholestrol.

It is the powerhouse of vitamin C which prevent cells by neutralizing free radicals.Free radicals cause chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer.

Studies show the abundance of polyphenois in oranges and prevents with all the viral infections.

Oranges contains beta carotene is a powerful antioxidant protecting the cells from damaging.

o

Jack, that's great, but we're growing blackberries, not oranges. And I'm thinking oranges aren't going to do very well for me, what with snow on the ground for 5 months each winter....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here