o
Best Blueberry Varieties for U-Pick?

Posted by PharmaChad 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 13:46

Anyone have u-pick blueberries along
the gulf coast? If so what are the best
varieties? Rabbiteye or SHB? My best
varieties so far are Emerald and Sharp.
Anyone have luck growing Princess rabiteye?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Blueberry Varieties for U-Pick?

I would wait and plant the Indigo crisps......yield of an Emerald and quality of a Sweetcrisp..............

o

BR,
Have you received any indication of when
they will be available?
Thanks,
PharmaChad

o

Far as I know none of the license holders have received their mother plants yet. My commercial BB friend has purchased a license, in fact was the first one to do so and still has not heard yet. The demand for these plants is going to be huge. The growers say it will replace Emerald and Jewel. It could be 5 years till they are available to the public if they ever are.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 17:59

Don't know where on gulf coast you are but some of the low chill varieties may bloom too early there and be subject to freeze damage. Chilling and spring freeze danger are big concerns in FL and surrounding areas.

For U pick you need a number of varieties to lengthen the harvest season.

The state universities should have a lot of info on what varieties are suitable for various areas. There are many other considerations all critical for a profitable enterprise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here