Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which tree should I relocate?

Posted by Lee.123 Houston (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 13:48

I have a Miho Satsuma and an Asian Pear planted 18 inches apart, they are 4 yrs. Old. which one should I relocate and when? Satsuma is fruiting. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which tree should I relocate?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 15:30

I'd move the Asian pear next winter as soon as it drops it's leaves. That will be the least stress on the tree. The Satsuma never drops it's leaves but could be moved next winter or early spring also. I'd feel very confident moving the pear at the right time. For me there is no good time to move a citrus but better during cooler weather.

o

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense because the pear tree will go truly dormant. I had planted the pear then planted the satsuma with intentions of moving the pear. never got around to it!

o

I moved a Rio Red citrus around chirstmas break in 2011. Got as much root mass as I could possiably lift, which is alot :). The tree was in the ground for 1 year prior to that. It didnt grow an inch last year and was pretty much in a state of shock. This spring its starting to take off again. It can be done but they dont seem to really like it that much. I wonder how it would have responded if it was in the ground longer than a year before moving?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here