Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy a jujube honey jar tree

Posted by epis 9 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 13:49

HI,

I am new to this forum and have never planted a jujube tree.
I did some research and seems like honey jar is a good jujube tree.
I tried to contact Roger Meyer and he is not responding.
Do you know anywhere else to get Jujube Honey Jar tree?

BTW, what does scion wood mean? Does it come with root?
Since I am really new to fruit tree planting, I would prefer rooted plants..

Thanks a lot for your info.

Epis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy a jujube honey jar tree

Well, where are you exactly in California? Walter Andersen Nurseries in San Diego county most likely have them or can get them. Same with Armstrong Nurseries in SD county. You can also try Exotica Nursery in Vista. I think they're only open on Saturdays, now.

Scionwood refers to a dormant branch of a particular fruit tree cultivar. It is used in reference to grafting fruit trees. Many different fruit trees are actually grafted. The cultivar you're purchasing is actually scion wood from a mother tree, grafted onto hardier rootstock. Other plants are grown on their own roots, but many are not in order to get best of both worlds - the variety you want on the top from the scion wood, grafted to root stock that will survive better in your particular soil conditions. And, they're always rooted, Epis :-) Actually, bare root fruit trees in most cases will establish better for you that potted fruit trees.

Patty S.

Patty S.

o
RE: Where to buy a jujube honey jar tree one more suggestion

Oops, missed a comment - you might want to try cross-posting this to the California Forum on GW. Many of us are avid fruit tree growers and are members of the CRFG, and you'll get at least one or two answers. Be sure you post where in Calif. you live. It's a big state :-) And I would add your Sunset zone in your GW sig line, and not just the USDA zone, which for us in California, is pretty much meaningless due to all our microclimates.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by epis 9 CA (sunset Zone 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 16:02

Cool. Thanks!!! I live in San Jose, CA. (Northern California)
Sunset zone 17.

They nursery recommendations are good! But not driving distance.
Let me google them and see if I could call them and ask for availability.

I will post in California Forum as well.

o

Try this seller, he is reputable and used to grow Honey Jar Jujubes:

http://www.jujubesales.com/Jujube-plants.php

Patty S.

o

I will have some Honey jar Jujube's ready by June.

Bass

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees of Joy

o

I am looking for mail order nursery for honey jar jujube and thai giant jujube. Please let me know, if you know any source for these 2 varieties.

Thank you,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here