Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4 in 1 Apple tree help

Posted by NarnyTheGreat 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 13:52

I have a 4 in 1 apple tree that I am trying to care for and I was looking for a little bit of assistance.

I was wondering if its possible for you all to tell me how old my tree is? The tallest point is over 6'5" (my husbands height).

Its fruit are,

Anna
Dorsett
Gordon
Red Fuji

Next question is what should I do with the fruit? Right now I have maybe 10 fruits all together. Should I pick them or let them grow?

Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4 in 1 Apple tree help

Heres he largest of the apples.

o

First of all, that tree needs a bigger pot or to be in the ground. It should have a lot more leaves on the Dorsett and Anna branches. I doubt the poor Fuji limb will ever get much bigger or bear, as it is badly paired with the low-chill apples.

That tree is three years old.

o

It isnt to late to put it in the ground?? I will re pot the tree.

What should I do with the fruit?I have a bit more than 10, I think I have about 15. Should I pick them or let them grow?

Thanks.

o

Why would it be too late to put in the ground?

o

Why would it be too late to put in the ground?

o

It gets really hot here. I had read (regarding peach trees anyway) that if you transplant the trees while they are blooming that you will shock them and they will die if not done before or around March.

Also, I was hoping to not plant these trees in the ground as I was hoping to grow them in a pot for the next 5 years because thats when my husband and I are planning on buying our hobby farm. Seems to me like thats going to be right around the time I get my apple tree up and running well.

o

I am aware that I will need a really large pot.

o

When you get your hobby farm plant seperate trees of the varieties you have on this one; they will be much happier then. Stick this poor guy in the ground after knocking most of the dirt off the roots to straighten the ones that are sprialing around the pot. The heat won't hurt it, and leave the apples on if you can, as that won't hurt it either. It isn't worth it to try to save a $20 for five years.

o

Is it really that bad? I just bought it this past week from the nursery. I had never heard of afour in one apple tree before and was ecstatic when I found it.

What can I do to improve its life besides planted or repot it? And also on the apples keeping nutrients from the other limbs?

o

I was trying to ask if the apples arekeeping nutrients from the other limbs growing?

I also read somewhere that some trees like this bloo m at other times so that to keep getting fruit all year long. I had atributed this towhy those two limbs are almost completely bare

o

You have a mix of chilling hour requirements between the varieties that cause them not to play well together. The Anna and Dorsett will hog all the energy leaving the poor Fuji meager resources. The tree is starving in the pot and picking apples off won't make that much difference. 4-in-1 trees usually don't do well in warm climates because of this; they do much better on their own rootstocks. I'd recommend Googling about growing apples in a warm climate before you start your hobby farm.

o

So the fact that the Fuji are blooming now and fruiting doesnt matter even though its the other grafts (Anna's and Dorsets) that show limited blooms?

Which trees are more cold needy? The Fuji?

I dont plan on having an apple orchard, simply a hobby farm. One with goats and meat rabbits and a few fruit trees would be a blessing. My experience is with animals and aquaponics (gardening with fish) not fruit trees. But I thank you for your concern for my plans.

As far as googling, I have. All of the trees listed in the 4 in 1 are listed for warmer climates. Of course I havent read everything and may be getting mixed information at this point.

Does any one recommend a strong apple reference book?

This post was edited by NarnyTheGreat on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 0:26

o

If you shock the tree, it may lose those fruits, which may drop anyway, in the normal course of events. But in the ground, it will develop stronger roots.

I think you might plant this tree and use it for practice, so when you're ready at your permanent location you'll have more experience with apples.

o

@ ltilton

I think my plan is to practice on this one as you say. I did re pot it today. Hopefully it will thrive.

Thanks for the help.

o

I would plant it in the ground. I have transplanted potted trees in July here in the Florida heat with success.

You are going to need a huge pot! 55 gallon drum?

o

In the ground.

Repotting would shock it as much as planting in ground, and the tree will be at greater risk because containers dry out and heat up dangerously in summer.

When you are ready to move, you can take scion from this tree (if you like the varieties) and take them with you.

If you are selling the home, an established fruit tree will increase resale value enough to buy yourself a nice mini-orchard worth of trees for the new place. Trees can increase the value of the home by thousands or tens of thousands.

And besides that, set the captive free!

o

I live in your zone USDA 9a, Sunset 19. We bought property with one of these trees in-ground. I don't know what varieties are on there except the Golden Dorset and Fuji tags were still there. We removed one variety completely due to fire blight on that entire branch.

The GD and others have blossomed and set fruit. The Fuji is just now blossoming.

There is a large Anna down the hill that still has a few blossoms, so I'm hoping for pollination for the Fuji. Plenty of bees around for sure. Our tree must be around 5 years old because the trunk is much fatter.

Good luck to you!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here