Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ozzz_gw

Keeping grape vines in containers temporarily

ozzz
12 years ago

I have a major backyard renovation going and I jumped the gun a bit and ordered three different grape vines.

I have so much going on Im not sure if I can get them planted in the ground for another month or so. Problem is its spring and I would like them to get as much growth this year as possible so they are quicker to get established and ultimately, quicker to produce fruit.

I have a trellis/arbor system planned out but wont be able to work on it for a month or so. The grape vines are very small as of now, can I plant them in 5 gallon buckets for the time being so that they can still develop root structure and growth, and then transplant them in the ground once I know where they will be permenantly located?

Is there any downfall to doing this that Im not aware of? I need to let them develop shoots anyway to select a permanent trunk so this might allow them to grow while Im getting things planned out.

Its possible I could plan out their permanent planting locations in the next week or so if I really had to, if it would be greatly more beneficial or something but if possible and it wouldnt stunt them that much Ild prefer to keep them in buckets.

Any suggestions?

Comments (5)