Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natchez Blackberry Help

Posted by 2010ChampsBCS 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 13:57

Just thinking about ways to get a bigger blackberry harvest and stay organic if possible. About 80% of this years crop will be lost due to borer damage. What are your thought on cutting this years new canes down to about 8" to ground and forcing multiple canes near the soil level? My intent is to be able to remove infected canes in early spring and save the uninfected canes to crop. Your thoughts and any other ideas are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natchez Blackberry Help

I know that on trailing blackberries, some growers use a growing approach called AY (alternate year) production. These growers essentially cut down all of the canes once every 2 years. This approach allows the blackberry plants to put more energy intro new growth this way since there are no 2nd year canes to worry about that year. Whether a similar approach would work for Natchez blackberries, I'm not sure.

I assume from your post you are hoping that by having more canes produced, you would then increase the chances that cane borers would miss some of the canes and leave more for you to harvest.

If you have a high cane borer infestation rate, you probably have another host for the cane borers nearby. Otherwise, when you remove the infested canes this year, before the cane borers emerge; you would kill off the next generation and thus remedy the problem. You may want to scour the nearby area and remove host plants. That might be your best bet.

o

jtburton. Thanks for sharing. Bill

o

I have Natchez variety and Triple Crown, plus Apache, and Navaho. This spring I notice I had some odd growth on my Triple Crowns. After checking I find they are Borers. I only lost two canes on one plant and one on another. My other blackberry varieties don't show in evidence of borers. I sprayed all my plants with liquid dishwasher soap and burned the canes that had the borers. I have a Cottonwood tree some 50 feet away that we be the source for the borers.

o

Fred. Thanks for sharing your experience. I hate to give up on blackberries with a good fight. I'm thinking about planting a more dense row and just cut out the bad ones each winter. Wish I had a better organic method. Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here