Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need estimate time for ripening blueberries

Posted by kate6 z7 bhm (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 14:04

We have had a warm, early spring in Alabama.

I'm delighted my late grandparents' blueberry shrub is still producing, I am taking care of their old place and would like to time my next trip when the berries will be ripe. It's a 3 hour round trip!

The berries seem to be full-sized and still green, with a hint of red on the blossom ends.

I don't know what variety the shrub is, but the berries are a typical size, and the shrub is at least 25 years old, but like closer to 30 (they retired to the country side around 1980 and were planting a lot then). The shrub is over 9' tall and umbrellas a span near 8' in diameter.

Thanks for your insight!
-Kate

Here's a photo of the berries:

Here is a link that might be useful: Unripe Blueberries as of Friday April 27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need estimate time for ripening blueberries

Kate:

I hope that plant has some leaves that can't be seen. Lots of berries with few leaves equals poor fruit.

I'd say those are a month off. But most varieties ripen over a month or more. If you wait until all are ripe, most may be lost to birds, etc.

I could be way off about Alabama blueberries.

You might consider pruning this winter. What little I could see looks like a bush badly in need of renewal pruning.

o

Sounds like a rabbiteye variety, they start ripening late May/June

o

• Posted by kate6 z7 bhm (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 15:11

Thanks, Fruitnut.

I lifted the more leafy branches away to expose these loaded branches underneath.

You are ahead of me to my next question, too, which is about pruning. I have recently been put in charge of this house and the person before me didn't do any maintenance to speak of, unfortunately, for the 10 years the property was vacant. I doubt the shrub had been pruned for a long while before that due to grandparents' ailments, etc.

How would I go about pruning this blueberry? I already have plans to cut back the nandina that is crowding form one side, and the small maple coming up the other, and remove the muscadine that has begun to climb.

I'm also curious if it could be transplanted successfully in the fall.

Thanks!

o

kate:

Moving a shrub that big and old won't be my first choice. It might be possible but doing the other things you mentioned to get it some sun would sound like a lot better choice to me. Renewal pruning should probably be done over several years. Start by removing a few of the biggest and oldest shoots as low as possible. Clean up small wood down low and any shoots out of place. Each year take out a little more big wood. Soon you'll have a younger looking shrub.

That would be my plan. It could be so old it doesn't respond with many new shoots, at least not the first year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here