Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian pears, Apple pears....???

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 14:11

Just ate the first 'Apple Pear' / 'brown Asian Pear' from a local market. Haven't grown pears before as they ripen mostly all at once & don't keep well. This 'Apple Pear' seems as if it would store better & longer in the refr. & I liked the crispy texture & flavor .... like an 'apple'!

Was thinking of ordering a dwarf Asian Pear x Stark's... anyone growing this & what are your thoughts about this pear? We live in zone 7 at 5280 ft. elevation with somewhat caliche/ alkaline soil & low rainfall (we irrigate everything). Got down to 32 here this winter & usual summer temps in high 90's usually. Peaches, plums, cherries,apples do well here ..... IF no late spring frost!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian pears, Apple pears....???

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 15:17

My favorite Asian pear is Olympic also known as Korean Giant and several other names. It holds well in the fridge, is huge, very firm texture, and 18 brix. It's not as juicy as most Asian pears but that's a plus to me. It's also much easier to thin and doesn't split like some others can in a big rain.

o

We live in N. Arizona -30 min south of Sedona in the Verde Valley
We have the same soil (hate caliche). Temp can get down to 16 and summer well its an oven.
We grow the same fruit and our dwarf Asian Pear does great. Try and buy one that is disease resistant.

o

campv: Stark's have a dwarf 'Hardy Giant' Asian pear dwarf supreme that they list as disease resistant. They say their other varieties of Asian pears are not disease resistant. Do you remember the name of the Asian pear that you have there? The pics of the 'Hardy Giant' show quite large pears but I'd expect them to be smaller here for us.

fruitnut: I wonder if Stark's 'Hardy Giant'is similar to your Korean Giant or Olympic? I'd prefer firm/crunchy as opposed to juicy also!

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 15:09

Stark's tree could be Korean Giant. They often rename to make their's sound exclusive. Often they list the real name afterwards. Call them and see. If they don't know or won't tell you get the real thing elsewhere.

o

• Posted by Noogy 6 sw mi (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 17:29

Viejita,
The dwarfs tend to sufffer a decline and peter out when on OHF 333, etc as the A pears require really strong root systems. You can always late summer prune and keep it 10' on Pyrus betulaefolia rootstock known as BET.
Noogy

o

We moved to a new farm in late 2012 and there was an Asian Pear tree already established. Not sure of the age; however, we got a nice crop of pears off of it last year. I made preserves and wine from them and they are both very tasty. These pears will keep for about 2 weeks just in the fridge. They also freeze well. I prefer them over Bartlett myself. They are very tasty, crisp, and juicy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here