Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Mealy plum aphid controls

Scott F Smith
10 years ago

This aphid has been a scourge on my Euro plums for the last several years. Its the light green aphid that will completely cover leaf bottoms when its in full gear; it doesn't curl leaves. I expect its not so much of a problem if you are using bug poisons - pretty much any poison for the moths or curcs will be wiping them out as well. One downside of Surround is the aphids could care less about it.

Anyway I'm curious if anyone else has had problems with this guy and if so how you control it. I usually do soap and/or oil which wipes out all the ones on the leaves, but in a few weeks they are back again and I am too busy to be spraying them every other week. This year my plan is to get ahead of them, hitting all the leaf bottoms with oil at the end of April. Its usually mid-May when they first "bloom" out in the zillions. Ladybugs eventually kick in big time, but it takes a long time for that to happen. On the black cherry aphids I can easily control them by putting tanglefoot on the trunks -- they rely on ants to move them. The green ones can fly in some stages and I am not sure if keeping ants off will help much. Still, I am trying that on some of the worst-hit trees this year to see if it helps.

Scott

Comments (3)