Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Sweet Treat Pluerry, plum x cherry, can order now for 2013

This interspecific hybrid is available for order on DWN Soft program. I just ordered one from Bay Laurel Nursery for 2013 season.

You might want to order now because they will likely be gone quickly in the fall. Also an order now might cause DWN to bud more this summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: DWN Sweet Treat Pluerry discussion

Comments (10)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Sounds fascinating, but personally I've never tried any of their pluots, apriums, etc., because I just don't know if they will do well in Michigan. A local nursery has some of them this year, but are $90 each. I might try some later in the season if they clearance them out cheaper.

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip fruitnut. I expect this one may do OK for me since the Sprite/Delight cherry-plums work well here. Sprite/Delight are crosses of plum and some other kind of cherry, not sweet cherry, so they are not pluerries.

Dennis, along with Sprite my Flavor Grenade seems very reliable here. I'm not Michigan but am a lot more like Michigan than California.

Scott

• ltilton
    12 years ago

I wish they'd call them "Plerry" instead.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Either way an awful name IMO. I won't be using it. Will probably look like a plum so that will do.

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Really bad name... I'll let fruit see what he thinks before I blow the family nest egg.

• emmers_m
    12 years ago

better than chum or chlum, though :)

~emmers

• MrClint
    12 years ago

There isn't as much info on this tree/fruit as one would normally expect. According to DWN's Facebook page it is on Myro 29C. Not sure of harvest time, size of fruit, chill hours, etc. Guesses can be made, looks to be plum-sized from pictures, but hard to say for sure. Unless it is very early or very late, it will be hard to shoehorn it into my lot at this point.

Here is a link that might be useful: When Apricot Met Plum...

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Looks like it ripens around end of July through August, apparently hangs on the tree very well, about 2 months (if you can keep the birds away). So, a little later but not super late. I am wondering what the chill hours were where it was tested. I'm not super low chill hours where I am - I actually get a fair amount of temps from 42 to 45 through the winter at night - so I'm probably 400 to 500 ch, based on the two weather stations accumulated chill hours (MiraMar and Escondido). I do need to find a weather station device that counts my chill hours, if anyone can give me a suggestion??

Patty S.

• MrClint
    12 years ago

With a new fruit tree a nebulous designation such as "low chill" works well enough for me. If someone has success with it locally, so much the better. Precision with regard to chill hours would be more informational than applicable. Too much emphasis will have you drilling down on the method of measurement, etc. And fails to account for micro-climates and other variables. It kind of becomes a never ending discussion that runs in a loop. Better to spend one's time eating tasty fruit. :)

For California, this calculator is as good as any:
    Cumulative Chilling Hours

Here is a link that might be useful: Chill Out!

• bart1
    11 years ago

I wish I saw this thread earlier. ;-(

I just got my Bay Laurel catalog in the mail and was intrigued by the Sweet Treat Pluerry so I went onto their website only to find that they are sold out for 2013. :-(

I was able to place an order through Sanhedrin so hopefully they'll means they have some (or will be getting some). ;-)