Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltilton_gw

What does freeze damage look like on apricots?

ltilton
12 years ago

Finding myself in uncharted territory again, particularly with the cots. This is largely because I've never before had a good crop set on my young trees.

I notice a number of fruits, at about 1/2 dime size, turning dark and shriveling on the branch, about to fall. Is this freeze damage?

Comments (10)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

Yes, that's freeze damage. Do yourself a favor and cut some of those fruits in two along with others that look normal. The frozen fruits are brown inside and soft. Unfrozen fruits are clear and bright inside and firm. The difference is very easy to discern. Look particularly at the small seeds. That's the real key, dead seed equals dead fruit.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks FN. It's so oddly random, good fruits and bad on the same branch.

I assume that fruits still looking good at this time are OK.

I see that some of the pears I thought might be killed are growing, so the damage isn't as bad as I'd thought. I've waited 6 years for that pear to fruit!

• alan haigh
    12 years ago

My cots just had the flowers kindof burn off. Maybe they weren't so far along as yours when the first chill hit.

• franktank232
    12 years ago

{{gwi:85106}}

{{gwi:85107}}

Funny...I was just out cutting apricots in half figuring out what was damaged...I was going to post the same question.

Looks like my Hunza really got zapped. Some of the tomcot look dead, but i think there is still a crop there. I saw a few black sweet cherries. Peaches look OK, but one of the trees, the new growth got zapped. Can't tell what I have yet with the plums.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Excellent pix! Mine look darker. And deader. Totally squishy if you squeeze them. This isn't damage from last nite, but earlier.

I'm actually glad it's freeze damage and not some disease I never heard of.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

my dad had an apricot in z5 for 30 years ...

and only ONCE did he get fruit toward maturity ...

and a freakin squirrel stole them in august ...

ken

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Ken-

The deeper into spring you can keep an apricot dormant, the better. This year was a crock.

Showing upper 20Fs here again Monday nite/Tuesday morning and now another model is showing what would be 20Fs/low 30Fs in 10 days... Its just too early to be this far along.

Going to be some very high prices for fruit this year.

• athenainwi
    12 years ago

Well, my apricots still look okay. Some of them are a little oddly shaped but they all look solid and unwrinkled. One of my trees has a lot but the other one didn't set many. That's probably a lack of pollination since there weren't many bees out that early.

The local winery said they have rather extensive damage on their grapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frost wrecks havoc on Wllersheim vines

• franktank232
    12 years ago

I'm going to do a better survey tomorrow... See where I am at. I'm also going to start pruning back the apricots on branches that have damaged, little or no fruit. If I kept my trees a little better shaped, I could easily protect them.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a site with good photos of freeze damaged buds and fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freeze damage photos