Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible to have blueberries first year planting?

Posted by linzelu100 Virginia 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 14:23

I am looking to buy a lot of blueberry bushes. My toddler is breaking our bank on blueberries; I thought it be good to grow our own since we have the space. I was putting an order in for 3 year old North HighBush plants and the owner instructed me I have to prune and won't get any berries this year. I thought that is why I was paying a lot for 3 year old plants? Oh I am so confused. Is there anyway to plant blueberries now and have blueberries this summer? Any age plant that will work for us?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible to have blueberries first year planting?

I'm curious -- were you instructed to prune the plants are just to to pinch blossoms the first year so that the plants don't set fruit? Who's giving the advice (i.e. is this a local or a mail order nursery)?

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 16:08

If you want a crop the first year, everbearing raspberries are the way to go. You can plant them in April, and have fruit to harvest in August. They will continue to bear fruit into October. Blueberries do best if the flowers and fruit are knocked off the shrub when they are transplanted.

o

shazaam- the advice was given by the owner/operator at a nursery that sells only blueberry plants. Advice was to prune. Alternative given advice was to buy container blueberry plants already contained to get berries for this year. Unfortunately this place is too far to drive and pick those up, and locally nothing like that available.

ericwi- Great advice on the raspberries. I always thought it was two years for them too. That won't help with our toddler. She won't eat them. "sour" she says. If I trasnplant the 3 year old plants and knock off flowers, can I leave any new flower growth on the plant after transplant..meaning get some fruit at least?

o

linzelu,
I'd leave some flowers. Brady

o

The reason to prune or not let the plant flower is to increase production in future years.

If you are more concerned about this years production then by all means leave half of the flowers on or leave flowers on half the plants.
You will get berries this year and next year-though maybe not as many next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here