Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Power shovel for digging out trees!

Konrad___far_north
10 years ago

Think I have ruined permanently my hip joints digging by hand,..over the last 30years or so.

This machine could be the answer of saving your joints?

I'm interested in this gadget..what do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dyna-Diggr Powel Shovel

Comments (19)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Looks like something you'd rent.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

What kind of trees are you digging out? Are they saplings or larger trees? I've seen some mechanical tools that make quick work of saplings without digging.

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Peaked my interest. For digging out bare roots I like to do a more careful job than a tree spade which this thing kind of duplicates incrementally. I think it might well be useful for my operation if used carefully to partially do the job once you've located the major roots. It would certainly save time when digging out a dead tree.

If you grow trees in a Carl Whitcomb "Rootmaker" (in ground) bag you can pop them out with a heavy spade without too much labor.

Thanks for the link. Thinking about it.

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Transplanting clay grown rootballs, balled and burlapped. I can see where it would be worthwhile. Put an sharp edge on it.

• olpea
    10 years ago

"Think I have ruined permanently my hip joints digging by hand,..over the last 30years or so."

I can sympathize Konrad. The power shovel may be an answer.

Personally, I order the smallest trees I can and trim the roots so I only have to dig a small hole.

I recognize cold climates are harder on trees and trees in that climate need every advantage they can get (like the biggest root structure possible).

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all!
    When posted, I was thinking that harvestman might have a interest,...aren't your joints bothering you?

Might test first a industrial jackhammer, running on a generator..I can fashion a spade to it.
    I'll dig up mostly two to 4year old grafted fruit trees.
    This power tool would be also nice for root pruning!
    Stepping and pushing on that shovel several hours non stop can be hard or wear out your joints I think.

Good for tight places where no other equipment can get in.

• Noogy
    10 years ago

It might even work for clearing saplings from woods. I need to clear some areas and would rather put a sharp edge like this 2" below the soil than to have to dig it and chainsaw in the sand to cut out a small tree. In between pulling the tree out and sawing it at or below soil level. Also for cleaning the kitchen's floor from dough that might have stuck, like Red and Green Show...

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

Konrad, I'm always combing the popular literature on wearing out joints and the like because I make my living with my body as much as my mind and the only pension that awaits me is in the form of fruit from my trees. I'm 62 and hope to be pruning, climbing, digging, etc until I'm at least 80.

From what I gather the digging will probably not wear out your joints and the kind of exercise a shovel provides will probably be better for you than that power digger. The fumes from the 2-stroke can't be great either.

Anyway, I've done hard physical labor, including digging in the most difficult conditions, my whole life and my joints are still just fine- knock on wood.

Using that spade looks like using a heavy chain saw and a chain saw is harder on my back than any other activity I engage in besides maybe shoveling snow. I worry more about my back than joints because it used to give me quite a bit of trouble.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

>>need to clear some areas and would rather put a sharp edge like this 2" below the soil 2"..are you serious, that's the depth of your little finger?

HM..I'm only a year behind you.. get what you're saying with fumes etc...which is the worse evil? Today's engine are not that bad anymore.

Talking about chainsaw, I have a small Husky,..love that thing!
    Have been thinking for years on a concrete chainsaw,..wouldn't be as nice on the roots!

• alan haigh
    10 years ago

I recently bought the high end Stihl topping saw. What an improvement over top of the line 20 years ago (my old 020 Super). You can hold it with one arm, it is so light and it it is scary quick and powerful for such a light tool. Too pricy for most people who aren't using it to make money.

It actually costs me more in the long run to use my Silky hand saw because I replace the blades when they get dull.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When it came for a new Chainsaw, I was considering the German Stihl, bought the whole works with case and all, took it home and wanted to cut some wood,..that darn thing I couldn't get running! Took it back and bought Husky,.. what a treat starting that thing, almost every time at the first pull!

When I took the Stihl chainsaw back, the guy started it with several throws!..The manual strictly say's NOT to do!

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    6 years ago

I still use shovel, the hips....seems don't bother me much anymore, only ones in a while...... perhaps it's something else.

• theniceguy
    6 years ago

I've used a rotary hammer drill before with a chisel attachment for very tough ground. I know some professional drain diggers use that as well.

To be honest though, I found taking my time and using a good technique works on everything I've tried so far.

It's good exercise without straining your body.

I also sharpen my tools with a grinder.

6 years ago

Yes....a shovel is allot lighter and not straining your back.

• PRO
    Lumber Jack's Tree service
    6 years ago

Konrad not being rude however, guess you do not have much to do or

just like being on the computer. I have plenty of projects in the yard, in the house and equipment to maintain. I do not like a shovel digging is not fun

my back hurts after I shovel all day. You folks in Edmonton got nothing to

do all day? The thread was about a Dyno Diggr not a shovel. You ever dig up

a palm in 95 degree heat ?

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

LOL...I'm a machinist, not a digger, only in my spare time and spring mostly... are you saying that you own one? A little feed back on this would be nice or a video...can't trust these advertising videos...I can't see that old guy with the hand shovel, [in video] holding a Dyna Diggr lol.

• JP
    6 years ago

I have a stump bucket for my skid steer. That is the best way to go!

http://www.tomahawkattachments.com/files/cache/2eee82bf4a5fc694d4e753d8623b4802_f21.jpg

• Greg
    6 years ago

I bought a cheap electric jack hammer with a clay spade off of amazon and used it to dig a very deep hole for an egress window. It worked really well to knock boulders loose and break the clay up. It was a horrendous job but I wouldn't have been able to do it with out the jack hammer. It should work great fro digging holes for trees. I would have hired someone with a mini excavator but you can't get one in my back yard.