Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low of 24 degrees..

Posted by Dan.NY 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 14:28

Though the forcast was low of 31, I awoke at 630 AM to check the temp and found 27 reported by weather dot com. Looking more, observed low was 24 on Sunday at some point. Sat was apparently 25. This coming week is supposed to be warm. I will be able to see what made it and what didnt. I would bet this is not good at all though. gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low of 24 degrees..

Im really glad I wasnt expecting fruit on my trees this year, they're too young.
Odd year for weather, and I hope it works out for you orchard guys.
It seems a good early season would be on the order of 1-2 weeks not 1-2 months. Too much is at risk.

On a side note, im not sure what I would do if I had this type of situation, where its consistently too cold at night when fruit is on the tree.

I was thinking about it, and I thought *maybe* I'd wake up early at like 3-4AM and go out to light some citronella candles under the trees to get some upward heat. I only have 3 trees, and only 1 is away from the house.

Not looking good for fruit here in the east-central NY area this year.

o

Just read the latest Scaffolds, a newsletter for commercial NY fruit growers produced by Cornell. They are talking about a nearly total crop loss for most of NY State. Just too many hard frosts after such a mild late winter. Be glad your living doesn't depend on selling your fruit. Tough times lately for farmers. Last summer the monsoon wiped out everyone working bottom land and now this.

o

MSU is saying kind of the same thing for Michigan... It looks really bad there.

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/regional_report_on_southeast_michigan_fruit_april_30_2012/

o

Um, LOL, WHAT SE Michigan farms and orchards? Seriously, they're almost all gone. If you are looking for Starbucks and Applebees, those are on every corner.

Honestly, in the counties that make up the Metropolitan Detroit area, Monroe, Lenawee, Wayne, Washtenaw, Livingston, Oakland, Macomb, St. Clair, there isn't any substantial large-scale commercial production for processing. There are some holdout growers that do pick-you-own and for farm markets. But nothing like it used to be back when I was a kid in the 60's and 1970s.

But yes, Michigan is basically toast for a lot of crops this year. Let's hope that this erratic and damaging weather is an outlier and not the start of a real trend in climate change.

o

here is the link

Here is a link that might be useful: Scaffolds

o

It will be very disappointing if I cant pick my favorites this year, but that inconvenience will be minor compared to those that rely on production to support their families.
I really hope it works out in the end, I suspect the most success will come from the varieties that blossomed late and were less involved in the freezes.
My Kidd's Orange Red is still in tight cluster, but that tree we just put in the ground.

-Eric
------------------------------------------------------

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here